UncleJohn

October 2021 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

494 posts in this topic

Gave the boat a try this pm in the back of CMC.  SOOOOOOOO much bait in the water, peanuts, rain bait and mullet.  Managed to land a few 4lb blues as they were chasing bait.  Was expecting more action but it was beautiful out there.  70* water and a bit dirty

Yup, boat fish dont count

Big fat skunked today in Ocean County. Peanuts stayed around the outer bar and never came within casting range. The sunset bite was non-existent. I didn’t see anyone hook up while I was fishing. I swear I never catch in OC when the surf bigger than 3ft. Adding insult to injury Wendy’s gave me three cold burgers for my drive home. Some days just aren’t great. At least I got to fish. 

Fished an inlet south jersey .  Early a.m. Nada except very small blues . Tons of bait everywhere . 

just went to get out . lost a few plastics . horseshoe crabs here and there. skinny fox looking for eats.

picked up some trash.over and out.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fished MC outfront last night.  830-1030 low tide.  Happy I finally was able to get out to fish but water was too low. No fishies

Edited by bechill11

40 mins ago, suntzu said:

Pelagics present 

You like company.  At a normal spot in local beach today 100 guys. Normally 4-6.  Social media is evil

7 mins ago, Goldy said:

You like company.  At a normal spot in local beach today 100 guys. Normally 4-6.  Social media is evil

They are long gone now Come one come all & support the local businesses Tide out, fog lifted fish likely 3 miles out & 20 miles south by now :)

MoCo again, against my better judgement since I hate fishing on weekends. 

Got there 30 mins before sunrise. Had one hookup burning a hogy jig in about 15 mins after sunup. Came off after a long 3 second fight LOL.  Still using my jigs from 2018 when you could catch 500 albies that year. Caught so many then I crushed all the barbs and cut the trebles into doubles or replaced them with singles.  

That's all. Saw a bunch of snappers in the wash again chasing rain bait. 

Sorry Gents, first time able to go out since Spring and I’m pretty sure that’s what’s shutting down the bite. 

Yesterday moco outfront, 4-7:30. plenty of albie hunters but didn’t see one bent rod. Met a nice guy named JB who hooked up the black fly repellent and gave me an education on gear specific to albie fishing. Maybe because I never hooked one but I feel like the only guy who doesn’t care haha give me a good sized bass.

Plenty of rain fish in the wash getting pushed onto the sand by waves but nothing on them or under them other than birds. Threw the bag, got popped at the lip on a little neck bottle popper but prob a snapper blue, it was a small hit. 

late report from Friday, first time night fishing in forever. Had to get my night senses back, there was a lot of rust. Nothing like undoing 3 wind knots in the pitch black. Just felt like the Dead Sea out there but figured it was my dues to the fishing gods for missing so much time. Will try again this early evening.

Central OC, last half of outgoing to low.  Nice wave action, clear water, light south west breeze.  Skunked.   

Twice I watched small fluke follow a teaser and Joe baggs swarter then a mag darter right into the wash.  Fluke made a left turn when it got near my feet.

Saw small bait, don't know what it was and also small school of mullet, both in wash.  Nothing on them.

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

That is why I no longer fish on weekends...

41 mins ago, Danny1199 said:

MoCo again, against my better judgement since I hate fishing on weekends. 

Got there 30 mins before sunrise. Had one hookup burning a hogy jig in about 15 mins after sunup. Came off after a long 3 second fight LOL.  Still using my jigs from 2018 when you could catch 500 albies that year. Caught so many then I crushed all the barbs and cut the trebles into doubles or replaced them with singles.  

That's all. Saw a bunch of snappers in the wash again chasing rain bait. 

Very different fishery this year.   

for those of you guys willing to chase it’s not the same.  I’ve been out all week and I either just missed or they are outside of casting range.  There is no repeat of 2018 for sure.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Only Albie I ever caught was years ago on a bluefish trip on The Golden Eagle.  It took a bunker chunk :bucktooth:.  I don't target them because it is soo hit or miss.  If they happen to run by while I'm targeting other species I will chuck some metal.  Otherwise I am not joining the parade.  Besides..no albie will ever come close to the 12lb bonefish I caught on the flats in Islamorada 20 sumthin' years ago ( I have pics of that one somewhere:sarc:)

Edited by JimK

3 mins ago, Ericmx65 said:

Got to the beach at 7am saw the crowd so I walked until I was mostly alone. Stayed until noon talked to some fellow fisherman who managed 1 albie and saw 2 others caught down a bit all away from the crowds. Had 1 on briefly then lost it. Kept at it and around 11 I caught my first ever albie then a second one.

Thats impressive man. Was on boat other day. Landed 2 but extremely difficult to catch. Catching 2 in surf in a year where the beaches r crowded and the albis are particularly ghostly is no easy feat.