UncleJohn

October 2021 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

493 posts in this topic

Out front, MoCo, from 2 to 3:15 pm. Top of the tide into the outgoing. Decent size waves with some real nice white water. Minimal drift north or south. Birds active in one area, but out of casting range. Small blues moved in briefly,, so I avoided the skunk. No stripes, as it's obvious that @MC55  wiped out the whole nest this morning! Doubt that I'll get out tomorrow as the wife has a doctor's appointment in NYC (I found my old flak jacket and helmet, so I'll have a fighting chance. Trying to figure out what I can outfit the wife in).

Started out front this morning late after debating to fish from land or kayak, water looked good. somehow my teaser hook impaled the 20lb leader. No fish out front so moved to the back. Saw some birds working some good

blow Ups and a few decent fish jumping out of the water out of range. Should have brought the kayak. Water temp dropped since I was out last Thursday 

Fisht mid Ocean County noon to 4 PM lots of white water still Lil stained last of incoming some outgoing threw metal with a teaser no bites had a bait rod out for my wife and only got sand sharks was able to hold with 6oz Sputnik 

I had a good flounder summer but I've sucked at striper fishing since I started surf fishing a few years ago. Even more lost now that I have my skiff. Bit the bullet and hired Dan Schafer to go out with, never done anything like this but hope to learn something and have a fun fall. Hopefully it's worth it.

6 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

I had a good flounder summer but I've sucked at striper fishing since I started surf fishing a few years ago. Even more lost now that I have my skiff. Bit the bullet and hired Dan Schafer to go out with, never done anything like this but hope to learn something and have a fun fall. Hopefully it's worth it.

Whose that?  Im looking for a guide as well

Edited by Goldy

12 hours ago, hurricane1091 said:

Nice. Insomniac fishing. You will have a blast with that guy and his knowledge of fishing is pretty awesome. Seen videos of him

11 hours ago, bentstick said:

Before the blow. Only a few guys around lucky enough to get in on an old school bluefish blitz. You couldn’t reel the top water plugs fast enough.

IMG_2790.MOV

IMG_2787.MOV

The bluefish bite was on pretty much in a lot of spots like that before the blow and of good size at times pushing 10lbs. Wonder if the stripes have been hindered by so many bluefish around. Usually stripes are in good numbers by now around the wash when the bait is present which it has been. Only have been getting stripes here and there. Can never be too much bait to not see them which only leaves to me that structure is not present like days past to hold them.

checked the surf out this am. looked like loads of peanuts going north 500yds off the beach. some schools of big bunkas also but smaller schools. I didn't see anything working them though.