UncleJohn

October 2021 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

495 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, bechill11 said:

Time for a stunod question. Wish wind is best for surf fishing?

Its going to be hard to compete with the high caliber responses to your question. The answer is it depends where you're fishing. Some places south is good, other places not so much. Personally for where I fish I like NE.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Back on the beach for the first time since June.  Avoided the skunk at least. Got one 24" striper right after sunrise.  Saw some other fish flipping in the surf.  Looked like small blues. Beautiful morning.  Felt great to be back out there.

Edited by 40shades-of-blue

Looks like D Day at the moment a mile off the beach, 47 boats in this group on very small bluefish all rolling south at a good clip Great surfing day

6D15425F-B6C9-4C4D-B41C-559D88D22D6E.jpeg

Went to the north again this morning and didn't get the hoped for results.  Bait was around but the fish just weren't that interested.  A few albies were caught but there were a lot of lines in the water that never bent a rod.  Had a few whacks at the lure, just no hook-ups.  Going to try and get back out later today.

Late late night outfront in OC. Boy the beach structure changed since I was there last. Light west wind and falling water. 2 shorts on skinny swimmers. If you weren’t reeling the lure onto dry sand you weren’t getting bites.

First time out in a while this AM SoMoCo. Beautiful crisp AM. Several anglers around. Great surf action, light W wind, beginning of outgoing. Hooked up early right at the wash line. Fish took a couple nice runs, was able to turn and fight him and get him up past the wash. Then a receding wave dragged him and I heard ‘plink’…leader break. I told anybody who walked by…including @Ed White. Thanks to Ed, he consoled me with one of his adventures. Anyway, it was just nice to be out again, bend a rod and talk to Ed briefly. 

Wide rolling waves out front of Oco. Albies still around, but only at surface for 5 seconds at a time, so mostly blind casting. Lots of marks at the bottom, but nothing would take. Got two albies to show for 4 hours of chasing them.

Tons of bait around- I observed the same fleet as @suntzu while on the beach a bit to the north. There were a few pods that came in close for about 15 min, just within casting range with the right gear.

Even tho I didn’t have my gear, it was encouraging to watch!   

2 hours ago, ICastAsJason said:

Wide rolling waves out front of Oco. Albies still around, but only at surface for 5 seconds at a time, so mostly blind casting. Lots of marks at the bottom, but nothing would take. Got two albies to show for 4 hours of chasing them.

The absolutely most frustrating fishery ever. You can chase all day. Have one shot at them and you miss. Chase again.  You miss. Frustrating day for sure.  

for those of you that think this is albie fishing from 2017-2018 youre wrong.  

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

The absolutely most frustrating fishery ever. You can chase all day. Have one shot at them and you miss. Chase again.  You miss. Frustrating day for sure.  

for those of you that think this is albie fishing from 2017-2018 youre wrong.  

Almost not worth targeting. On the bright side at least the boats are having a blast. :banghd: