UncleJohn

October 2021 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

862 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

17 mins ago, Harumph said:

Out front today in moco. Those Yozuri hydro-minnows will catch anything!

Anyone have a recipe?

IMG-0657.jpg

IMG-0654.jpg

I have never seen that.  Bats are extremely beneficial for the environment, but are absolute germ factories (rabies and covid)

It looks like it hit the hydro in mid-cast?  I like to mess with my son when the bats are out and throw a tennis ball in the yard and they come swooping down at him

Edited by Goldy

1 min ago, Goldy said:

I have never seen that.  Bats are extremely beneficial for the environment, but are absolute germ factories (rabies and covid)

Yea, it was definitely dead and just floating in the water. I noticed it wasn't weeds immediately (luckily never touched it). 

49 mins ago, Harumph said:

Anyone have a recipe?

IMG-0657.jpg

IMG-0654.jpg

Bat soup I heard is a delicacy. 

2 hours ago, Eeeeels said:

Last night I walk into this thinking it on like donkey Kong 

NOT……pitched a no hitter

045A3C93-6ED7-400A-B6EC-8788C4949E8A.jpeg

7030265F-5816-4E76-9EDE-A2251D8DBFC3.jpeg

Wow...was that in the back? Peanuts I assume?

1 hour ago, Harumph said:

Anyone have a recipe?

IMG-0657.jpg

IMG-0654.jpg

had a live one get tangled up one morning. thought it was a crab or lump of grass in the dark when i reeled it in. skeeviest feeling of my life.

Moco managed 1 rat and 1 30 incher stripe right before the sun came up and then 3 rat sized bluefish when the sun came out 

15 mins ago, c0dy said:

had a live one get tangled up one morning. thought it was a crab or lump of grass in the dark when i reeled it in. skeeviest feeling of my life.

It's October......and you know what that means.

21 hours ago, MC55 said:

NE wind didn't live up to its reputation this morning.  Good looking bass water but never found any.  Started up in the north country and had one swimmer chopped off.  Made a move to the south and pulled out a single small blue.  Saw some birds picking way off shore just never could find any bait in close.  Still lots of bugs around so gave that a try and had one pickup but didn't get the hook.  Will stay closer to home in the morning and hope the NE wind does its thing.

October and NE blows won't ever be the same in my opinion. Recalling blitzes in the 80's and 90's, we normally would have a good cold snap, a frost or close to one, causing a quick drop in the water temp. This would cause he bait to school up tight and put them on the move down the beach. A NE blow would then bring in the fish. This would repeat several times in the fall. 30->50lb stripers were common for two weeks in October during the 70's. The season was basically over by Thanksgiving.

I start fishing for shad in the rivers in March for early run fish. Major runs were April/May. The past 10 years, fish have been caught in February and little to nothing April/May. 

You're a fool if you think climate change is not happening.

Oldtimer Out      

I haven't fished the area in quite a few years, but back then there was a jetty just north of the Shark River Inlet that we called the bat jetty.

38 mins ago, c0dy said:

I have you beat LOL. 

Was fishing IBSP a long time ago, 25 years or more.  We stopped on the way home at a gas station for drinks. I was walking to the door, it was mostly dark. I saw what I thought was a wallet on the ground. I picked it up and it turned out to be 2 bats humping LOL. 

15 hours ago, nam1969 said:

Pretty much the same as @suntzu . MoCo from 5:30 to 6:30 pm. Same conditions as he reported, except not a bump. One word of caution; there was quite a bit of wood on the beach, some decent size. Saw wood in the water, with one piece pretty big.piece bobbing up and down. 

Bob, saw the same thing when I stopped there yesterday morning.  For whatever reason that area always seems to collect the floating debris.  Would be nice if was collecting fish.

Morning from 6 to 10 OC on the rocks. What a difference a day makes. Nice water, saw peanuts and some mullet but not crazy. Cycled through my bag and kettle creek was the only action. Couple small bass and lost two others. They were mouthing it like they were full. No blues in sight or Albies. . I’m guessing we are close to entering that calm period we see after the mullet run. Switching over to eeling soon. Tight lines

Stayed close to home this morning and found beautiful looking water but nothing to be found.  Tossed the swimmer, popper, and bugs without a touch.  Did see a quick showing of Albies that were gone in a flash.  The October slump is in full swing 

Got up late. Should have stayed in bed. On the beach at 8:30, MoCo, but a little further south than where I normally start. Slight NE wind and outgoing tide. Slight chop. Not a touch. Made a decision to sneak over the border to that other county. Same result. Nada. I only saw two other fishermen the whole time. One guy was bait fishing and looked like he was asleep in the chair. Lucky for him the tide was going out! No visible bait. No birds working, unless you count the one who tried to abscond with my popper! Water felt really warm for this time of year. It's still August, right?