ged

2021 Deer Hunting

Rate this topic

142 posts in this topic

I know most of you are still chasing bass, but Saturday marks youth deer day in MA and Eastern MA opens for archery on Monday. Youth day has become my favorite day of the year. Weather looks nice and cool for the kids. 

Went to the range yesterday and the slug gun and muzzle loader are ready. The boy gets to choose. 

Shortly after this picture was taken last youth day a very nice buck walked into range. For whatever reason the kid didn’t shoot! He has spent a year thinking about that buck. 

Here’s to a safe and successful hunt to everyone in 2021. 

36FD99E6-6D3E-42A0-A465-E007BE5ADD28.jpeg

Good luck the weather looks decent Saturday. Got out a couple times in CT so far myself; but my season will be a little bit slower than usual. Just had our first child last Wednesday. I’ll still be able to hunt but between our daughter and a new job I started a couple months ago my season won’t be quite the same as usual. 

Congratulations on your baby. If I went back I would have hunted less when my kids were young. I missed a lot apple picking trips due to the early RI archery season. 

November is different, I can make up for that lost time with Christmas :)

Edited by ged

Last year was my first year not shooting a deer in about 7 years. Life got in the way, between working the midnight shift, family commitments, etc. just didn’t have the opportunity most days to get out, and when I did, I didn’t have the drive go. My dog also turned 10 last year, so the few opportunities I got, I wanted to take him duck hunting thinking it may be his last season (he’s still moving well, so I think he may actually hunt this year as well).

This year will be different. Bought a piece of property in August on the south shore. I’m putting a ton of time into my house and the yard, but I didn’t miss the first chance I got to put up some trail cameras and see what I have roaming through my woods. I own a pretty solid funnel between two big pieces of woods. Have a few solid deer making their way through already.

I’m definitely planning on making time to sit in the stand whenever possible this year. The season always sneaks up on me and is here before I’m ready, but I’m trying to get my ducks in a row now, so I’m ready. Good luck to anyone getting out tomorrow for youth day!

BBCEB34D-7756-4C2A-9EA6-A1D188FBD0A2.jpeg

2B6F8F01-1105-4E82-BB3B-A356CB074B90.jpeg

F86FF29F-7031-41B4-B445-CD01394D1E04.jpeg

Last year I could've had all the venison I wanted. It got so I would sit in the woods and watch deer pass by me yards away as long as they didn't catch my scent. I was wearing the HECS outfit and I think it really works. Deer can still see you but they aren't alarmed. I had a doe see me in the brush and come over and look at me hard for minutes and as long as I didn't move she wasn't frightened. 

Take my word for what it's worth and understand that I'm talking about hunting in the woods of Nebraska.

In NYS we have a huge problem with a disease killing off the entire deer population in some areas. I think it’s EWD or something like it. Where we would normally see dozens there are none. Game cameras from several people I know have confirmed this. The disease is man made I’m told. Anybody know more about this ?

2 hours ago, Kones1 said:

In NYS we have a huge problem with a disease killing off the entire deer population in some areas. I think it’s EWD or something like it. Where we would normally see dozens there are none. Game cameras from several people I know have confirmed this. The disease is man made I’m told. Anybody know more about this ?

It’s EHD. Epizootic hemorrhaging disease. Not man made that I’m aware of. From what I have read on the subject you only have to worry about short term affects on deer herds. It’s not likely to kill every single deer in an area but can definitely put a dent in the numbers from season to season.  The virus  is not transferable from deer to deer; it is transmitted by midge bites. Early frosts can prevent outbreaks I guess. A deer usually dies within 36 hours of contracting it. 

On 10/2/2021 at 3:04 AM, biggstriper said:

Last year I could've had all the venison I wanted. It got so I would sit in the woods and watch deer pass by me yards away as long as they didn't catch my scent. I was wearing the HECS outfit and I think it really works. Deer can still see you but they aren't alarmed. I had a doe see me in the brush and come over and look at me hard for minutes and as long as I didn't move she wasn't frightened. 

Take my word for what it's worth and understand that I'm talking about hunting in the woods of Nebraska.

HECS looks interesting 

I will look into it

19 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

HECS looks interesting 

I will look into it

Just remember- it doesn't make you invisible like some people think for some reason.  Deer can still see you and might look at you for a bit. As long as you don't move or make any noise they won't think you're any danger to them. You should still wash your other clothes in a detergent that doesn't cause UV. I use Surf detergent and that works great. 

I had one buck run right at me across a couple of cornfields twice last year at dusk. One time he ran right past me and the other time he caught my scent when he got downwind of me and stopped cold. It was pretty cool! I also saw him come out of the woods about ten yards from me another time. He couldn't figure out what I was and I finally moved my hands to get him to run back into the woods. He was too young to think about shooting.

Edited by biggstriper