BrianBM

THIN pork chops

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

My bride has a strong preference for thin pork chops. Over 1/2" is too thick. They are easy to overcook, though ...

To keep them juicy and flavorful, is it better practice to brine them, or marinate them? If so, in what?

If they are dry they are over cooked. For thin chops you need a super hot fire so they sear and brown before getting dry. Should only take a couple minutes per side, if you can't get them colored up in that time you need a hotter fire. I find brined pork to taste kind of hammy.

12 hours ago, BrianBM said:

My bride has a strong preference for thin pork chops. Over 1/2" is too thick. They are easy to overcook, though ...

To keep them juicy and flavorful, is it better practice to brine them, or marinate them? If so, in what?

We do these frequently the summer, but I like the 1/2" or so boneless chops. Just marinade in olive oil, soil sauce, garlic, and a little balsamic vinegar. I do them over coals on the grill, but they do cook quick so watch the heat.

17 hours ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

Or better yet, pound them completely flat, bread in panko, and fry 'em.

I like this. 

serve like a veal Milanese or parm them.

It is very difficult to tell it is not veal in the parm version. 

17 hours ago, Nicky Da Fish said:

Or better yet, pound them completely flat, bread in panko, and fry 'em.

Pat in flour, then egg wash, then cover with panko and fry.  Cut into strips an eat with katsu sauce and steamed rice... 

katsu sauce.JPG

Thin is tough. Sous vide to your  temp then crisped for a very short, say 60 to 120 seconds time. It needs to

sit a bit before it is finished or it will be over cooked. Perfection on thin meat with a crisp, must be handled carefully.

I love pork chops all ways but when short on time I will get a value pack of bone in thin chops.  Season with some Tony Chacheres and drop them on a ripping hot cast iron.  Top w carmelized onions and any juice left from the pans and life is good.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Don't think we've ever had tender boneless pork chops and, so, avoid buying them but, referencing above suggestions, pounding to very thin and doing the Panko egg treatment, then quickly cooking in a hot cast iron pan may work. If your wife prefers thin pork chops, I'd pound center cut pork chops with the bone in, 1/4" thin pounded, and dip in egg, then panko and cook till crisp in oil. Garlic flavored oil is even better. The pork will be juicy and tender. You can put on a pan in a preheated low oven to keep hot and crispy and proceed with additions to the dish with all the recipes available online for serving crispy pork or chicken over whatever! That's what we do. You can make parmesan, marsala, bruschetta topping on the chop, Milanese, over arugula, fresh garden tomatoes over the pounded crispy pork chop,  diced and drained, topped with melted cheese of your choice, Pork Chop Martini, check online for this recipe, yum, etc.

Edited by flysully
additional info

We've tried grilling thin chops a couple times this summer and the results were...eh.

Once was in a lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and rosemary marinade.

The other was light soy, ginger, garlic, sesame oil and scallions.

Both times over charcoal, results underwhelming.  The soy based were hammy as already described. The lemon juice olive oil chops were overcooked and slightly tough. Possibly due to being in lemon juice too long?

In the end, I more than scratched the thin pork chop itch.

On 9/30/2021 at 10:05 AM, JAL said:

We do these frequently the summer, but I like the 1/2" or so boneless chops. Just marinade in olive oil, soil sauce, garlic, and a little balsamic vinegar. I do them over coals on the grill, but they do cook quick so watch the heat.

You throw them into dirt?