Snapper Popper

FALL RUN - I give up

Rate this topic

450 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, pequa11 said:

Bring them around to the western south shore !  In 6 trips have only gotten a 28", a 27" and a 20"

you didn't know they get on the jersey bypass by then.

Years ago we never had to rely on sand eels for action.  Even without them the Fall action started in late August/earlier September and went all the way through to December. 

That was a direct result of better year classes and a larger biomass.  For us on the SS of LI, there will be more lean years ahead.  Poor YOY while we still hammer what is left, leaves us with smaller and smaller pockets of fish.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

Until the sandeels comes in, IF they comes in, the south shore is pretty much dead.   Still no report of sandeels anywhere.

Very unlikely they show. If they were it most likely would’ve happened by now especially since we just had the moon. 

Edited by li_bass_hunter

Posted (edited)

15 mins ago, jps1010 said:

Years ago we never had to rely on sand eels for action.  Even without them the Fall action started in late August/earlier September and went all the way through to December. 

That was a direct result of better year classes and a larger biomass.  For us on the SS of LI, there will be more lean years ahead.  Poor YOY while we still hammer what is left, leaves us with smaller and smaller pockets of fish.

The good ole days it started off the end of august early September with  mullet and finished up sometime in early December with herring. We are a long ways away from those times again!!

Edited by li_bass_hunter

20 hours ago, li_bass_hunter said:

The good ole days it started off the end of august early September with  mullet and finished up sometime in early December with herring. We are a long ways away from those times again!!

That’s why I ended up with so many blue plugs. 

Hung up the waders this week, disappointingly.

Being newer to this hobby, I almost anticipate not having success in the surf. I like to think I do things the right way — find structure, fish at different times/tides/winds, don’t chase the reports, etc. That being said, to not see a single bass come out of the surf in October and November is just discouraging. Last year, I understood the meaning behind “putting in the time.” This year, it feels like all that means is grinding for luck. Like a random number generator. 

13 mins ago, JohnW93 said:

Hung up the waders this week,

sorry to hear that bro.    these guys getting 20-40# bass are not getting into them every day.

honestly, I am fishing every night and have really only see a handful of catches OUT FRONT per outing.

I am fishing prime tides, moons, spots, and the correct plugs.

this is the time of year where fish are migrating not staging, you will need to move around.

you need to talk to other surfcasters IN PERSON to figure out what is going on.

have you ever experienced the "march of the deathrats" we get around thanksgiving.

you will see hundreds and hundreds of anglers in white sneakers catcing hundreds of 14" bass.

57 mins ago, GarbageFish said:

sorry to hear that bro.    these guys getting 20-40# bass are not getting into them every day.

honestly, I am fishing every night and have really only see a handful of catches OUT FRONT per outing.

I am fishing prime tides, moons, spots, and the correct plugs.

this is the time of year where fish are migrating not staging, you will need to move around.

you need to talk to other surfcasters IN PERSON to figure out what is going on.

have you ever experienced the "march of the deathrats" we get around thanksgiving.

you will see hundreds and hundreds of anglers in white sneakers catcing hundreds of 14" bass.

Great post here and basically the 2021 Fall Run Narrative

No sand eels,  so roaming open beaches will get you 1 fish in 2 hours  and a whole lotta skunk missions mixed in ( ask me how I know ).

I personally don't think we will get the deathrat march this year... BUT I have my white sneakers ready!

We cannot catch what isn't there.  I went yesterday and caught two but it was an awful a lot of work for a mere two schoolies.  The problem is simple, the numbers are way down. 

To put it into perspective, around 2010 when everyone agree more fish were around, I was only living on the island for around 1.5 years so I didn't really know where to go and would fish a location I found close to home.  I heard plenty of stories from the guys I have fished with over the years and they all told me how great the action was with mid 30 inch range fish at that time.  Even though I wasn't on the main body of fish when I first moved here, I still did pretty well.  This Fall I have heard of good outings with fish to east of me but if you are not on the main body, pickings are going to be very slim.  I caught 1 bass in all of October which is typically one of my best months out of the year.  If I caught two fish in November, I did well.  That is how bad it is.  Last year I did well with fish to approx. 40lbs give or take but even then it was only for a few years towards the latter part of October.  In the mid 2000s, when the numbers were much higher, things would really start to pick up around Labor Day and go all the way through to December. 

I really hope they increase the size limit back to what already worked in the 80s.  This sucks.

Definitely my worst fall since I’ve seriously gotten into surf fishing. With other obligations I’ve only been able to get out sporadically and at random times, not a great recipe for success with such a low striped bass biomass. I won’t completely give up until the bell has rung, but my efforts are getting lazier and lazier. May even resort to chunking :laugh:.

I’ve also never purchased this little fishing gear in a season. I got a new surf rod out of necessity, but have made next to no line, plugs/other lures, terminal tackle, etc. purchases this season. Really makes me question the tackle shops who go against conserving fisheries.