Snapper Popper

FALL RUN - I give up

Rate this topic

450 posts in this topic

54 mins ago, SPR61 said:

I have caught numerous fish tight to the rocks and some quality fish especially when mullet were around.

Never stop your retrieve with a plug when you think you are too close. Use a swimmer that sits higher in the water column when working tight to the rocks. Bucktails I would real up faster when I knew I was getting close.

I have on many occasions casted parallel with the jetty and then started my retrieve.  

The one thing I hate when fishing on the rocks at night is when someone walks out without a care in the world and his light is bouncing off the rocks and the water. I always cup my light so as not to spook some fish that are holding tight to the rocks.

Jetty's in general are fish magnets especially if deeper water is close.  

Good advice!  I haven't been out at night yet I'm still getting the feel of the area but there are obviously fish around.  Thanks for the advice!

Regardless, all that pre study definitely helped...whether it was subconscious or not.

Def invest in korkers/spikes...guys die/hurt themselves on Jetties every year.

Congrats on the fish

I will say - one thing I did learn was to just get out there as much as possible.  I do actually have stockingfoot waders with metal stud korker boots.  It has just been too hot so I figured I would be OK with my boots.  Luckily today it seems to have really chilled down si I'll be using them going forward - Thanks!

5 hours ago, i_like_poppers said:

On the Nightshift podcast, Campo put it best. Everything works and there are no hard set rules, just some things work better than others at a given tme. 

Good luck and nice catch.

I did listen to that actually - he knows what he's talking about obviously from years of experience.

A good explanation: sometimes it just be like that. 

You can learn a lot from guys like Zeno and Skinner, but some of it just isn’t relatable to the everyday fisherman (like myself). I commute from the Bronx in a Honda Fit — I’m not sitting at home on Saturday because the tide and wind aren’t ideal. 

1 hour ago, JohnW93 said:

I’m not sitting at home on Saturday because the tide and wind aren’t ideal. 

AMEN!

As a husband, father and employee my fishing log is 1 page and 1 sentence  which reads

"Fish whenever the f**k you can"!!!

9 hours ago, Snapper Popper said:

I will say - one thing I did learn was to just get out there as much as possible.  I do actually have stockingfoot waders with metal stud korker boots.  It has just been too hot so I figured I would be OK with my boots.  Luckily today it seems to have really chilled down si I'll be using them going forward - Thanks!

Get a pair of neoprene socks or other socks comfortable to you and you can wear the wading boots without the waders on a hot day 

when you're going to fish a groin or jetty, take a cast or three from the adjacent sand out alongside the jetty, before you get up on the rocks. Retrieve parallel to the rocks 2-3' out from them. That's where the fish very well might be cruising..... then, once you work your way out on the rocks, don't forget to take a couple of casts back toward the beach, again, parallel to the rocks.....

Here’s a famous quote from probably a billion and one fisherman usually following given advice.

”….. but hey, you never know.”

words to fish by.

Posted (edited)

On 10/1/2021 at 4:45 PM, LowEnd said:

“Give up”? 
The fall run has barely even started.

Agree, although there should be a lot more fish tho in my neck of the woods by now (eastern LI) and it’s the worst I’ve ever seen. This fishery sucks

Edited by Striperhunter9

13 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Bait everywhere... mullet never looked so relaxed 

That is the problem

No (visible) action on the bait

On 9/30/2021 at 9:43 PM, Blank Disc said:

Get a pair of neoprene socks or other socks comfortable to you and you can wear the wading boots without the waders on a hot day 

THIS.  A $15 peir of neo socks allows you to wear you wading boots year round without the waders.  Plus you look like a badass, lolz.