Snapper Popper

FALL RUN - I give up

Rate this topic

450 posts in this topic

On 10/22/2021 at 6:31 PM, Snapper Popper said:

there's no reason to keep illegal fish, and destroying our beaches and ocean should be jail time at this point...

If fines are bigger there will be much less garbage around.

Slap on the wrist and $5 fines are no solution.

11 hours ago, JohnW93 said:

— I haven’t seen a fish pulled out of the surf this October. 

You are not lone on that boat.

Or

I am not alone on that boat.

Posted (edited)

On 10/15/2021 at 2:07 PM, Bass2Snook said:

From my past experience with noticing an east-end solid bite - and hoping and wishing it would move west - I’ve always been sorely disappointed, kicked myself in the ass for days about not taking advantage of the eastern action, and sulking about the long winter ahead.

The only time in recent memory when I could have counted on that happening was when herring were in the surf, out east, and bass were riding herd on them. They were in the Hamptons on, say, Sunday and you just KNEW they would be in the west end a couple days later. That’s what the herring would do when being chased. Sure enough that happened and it was nuts on a Tuesday and Wednesday - then, it was all gone. Now, we here of herring out in 60’ of water, taunting the surfcaster.

IMHO it’s probably better to take what you can, now, instead of waiting for what may happen. That said, I do agree that any westward-charging bite has been happening later and later the last decade or so.

Sounds like the two days before Thanksgiving in 2005. The Sun came up and the sky was black with Gannets from Shinnecock to Rockaway. I didn't think there were that many birds in the world. Surfmen shoulder to shoulder, rods bent and herring around your ankles. Thursday it was over. The wind changed and the surf was huge. I had one fish on a 4 ounce blue and chrome Kastmaster that morning. It was the only thing I had that would cut through the wind. 

I will go to my grave smiling with thoughts of that Tues.& Weds. It was glorious!!

Sorry for the story telling,

Marc

Edited by mml4

December 4 2006, Started at Mecox first light with glassy conditions and a small 1-2 foot swell and HERRING popping 50 yards out with a few bass on them, saw birds a mile to the west . Got off the beach , blew down the road and got back on to find all hell had broken loose with herring , bass, blues and gannets right in the wash with herring getting pushed onto the beach  . lock and load until dark! Lost track of how many fish caught , released my 2 personal best at 50" and 52 ".  The crazy thing was that if you cast more than 25 feet or so it was straight blues, they had the bait pinned to the beach and the bass were laying right on the drop off slurping down the herring as they washed back into the water. Fished a 6" blue over white metal lip , caught 3 double headers on the same plug and went through 2 sets of front hooks. There were multiple 40's caught along with 15 lb ++ blues  , the next day was hard SW , caught 2 fish over 30 on a 3 oz bucktail and that was it for the year here on the east end. Great memories!

Double Time.JPG

JimWilliams3.JPG

Weather outlook:

Tuesday 50MPH northerly wind and 8 foot surf

Friday 40MPH East Wind and 13 foot swell

does this kill the current bite

47 mins ago, GarbageFish said:

Weather outlook:

Tuesday 50MPH northerly wind and 8 foot surf

Friday 40MPH East Wind and 13 foot swell

does this kill the current bite

Certainly gonna change things! Beach erosion in some places , accretion in others , dropping water temps , falling barometer all will play a part. Could be great 

Great fishing yesterday outside a SS inlet on the outgoing tide...monster bass everywhere, caught my personal best and 3 other large bass, caught 6 in total. Place was dead before it broke open, saw a lot of dead stickers pack it in before hand. Me and 1 other guy had the place to ourselves and we worked it perfectly. Fish are out there, just make sure you hit your spot on the right tide and conditions. Good Luck.

I don’t know what some of you guys are doing or where you’re fishing, but my NY buddy texted me photos of mid 20lb to 30lb fish he took yesterday afternoon on the open beach. All on surface plugs.

We all know the fishing isn’t anywhere near what it used to be, but they are there if you are in the right places.

1 hour ago, Bass2Snook said:

I don’t know what some of you guys are doing or where you’re fishing, but my NY buddy texted me photos of mid 20lb to 30lb fish he took yesterday afternoon on the open beach. All on surface plugs.

We all know the fishing isn’t anywhere near what it used to be, but they are there if you are in the right places.

The problem is the fish are in small areas and only for a short period of time, there’s very few patterns anymore. How many times has he gone out and it’s sucked more than it was good? That’s a good outing he had but in reality in today’s fishery you get about one OK to good trip for every 5-6 trips. Ive been at this for 30 years and am fishing 3-5 nights a week and it’s never been this bad. 

5 hours ago, pakalolo said:

December 4 2006, Started at Mecox first light with glassy conditions and a small 1-2 foot swell and HERRING popping 50 yards out with a few bass on them, saw birds a mile to the west . Got off the beach , blew down the road and got back on to find all hell had broken loose with herring , bass, blues and gannets right in the wash with herring getting pushed onto the beach  . lock and load until dark! Lost track of how many fish caught , released my 2 personal best at 50" and 52 ".  The crazy thing was that if you cast more than 25 feet or so it was straight blues, they had the bait pinned to the beach and the bass were laying right on the drop off slurping down the herring as they washed back into the water. Fished a 6" blue over white metal lip , caught 3 double headers on the same plug and went through 2 sets of front hooks. There were multiple 40's caught along with 15 lb ++ blues  , the next day was hard SW , caught 2 fish over 30 on a 3 oz bucktail and that was it for the year here on the east end. Great memories!

Double Time.JPG

JimWilliams3.JPG

Those were the days…

41 mins ago, F1SH said:

The problem is the fish are in small areas and only for a short period of time, there’s very few patterns anymore. How many times has he gone out and it’s sucked more than it was good? That’s a good outing he had but in reality in today’s fishery you get about one OK to good trip for every 5-6 trips. Ive been at this for 30 years and am fishing 3-5 nights a week and it’s never been this bad. 

I fully agree and I definitely hear you. I had been surf fishing for striped bass for 40+years before we moved down here to FL last October and I recall how it was getting gradually less and less consistent. I know guys who even stopped keeping logs because there were no more patterns - just fish “here” today, gone tomorrow.

My bud had three good innings and one where he only caught a dink over the course of a week, fishing a total of only 4 trips. In my book, and on this environment, I’d take that in a heartbeat if I were still up there.

My post was really more to point out that it’s not completely dead. Sure, it’s not nearly anything like it was years ago, but there are some good innings to be had. Some people are posting that they haven’t seen a single bass come out of NY waters yet in October.

I saw the latest index figures - NOT good at ALL. The other shoe will drop soon.