Snapper Popper

FALL RUN - I give up

Rate this topic

450 posts in this topic

On 10/17/2021 at 8:50 PM, Bass2Snook said:

A good friend of mine in NY called me excitedly this evening to report a good showing of bass 36” and larger at a south shore beach this afternoon.

Yeah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Cutting the DEC a little slack here... I fished 2 weeks in a row at a well know "permit only" bridge on the south shore...gravel lot was packed.. fish were NOT (LOL)  DEC showed every night because it was a guaranteed way to fill ticket quotas.

 

50% of the cars didn't have night permits and 50% of the "cultural" fisherman had a blank stare when asked to furnish their marine rec papers.

 

No fish caught...but tickets o'plenty.

 

Mind you this was like 11pm on Tuesday   or Thursday.


 

i’m rather sure i fished the same spot about 2 weeks ago before work (5:30-7:30 am); literally 20 of your “cultural” fisherman types loading their coolers and buckets with snappers 2 at a time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mr127 said:

i’m rather sure i fished the same spot about 2 weeks ago before work (5:30-7:30 am); literally 20 of your “cultural” fisherman types loading their coolers and buckets with snappers 2 at a time. 

 

And then when the sun comes up... it becomes a daily rape of 4 inch Northern Kingfish. Everyday everyday everyday cars and cars and cars and buckets and buckets and buckets of 4 inch Kingfish.  Filling the freezer until December when they can do the same with 4 inch herring.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

 

And then when the sun comes up... it becomes a daily rape of 4 inch Northern Kingfish. Everyday everyday everyday cars and cars and cars and buckets and buckets and buckets of 4 inch Kingfish.  Filling the freezer until December when they can do the same with 4 inch herring.

 

 

And then in the early spring with 4” flounder!…oh wait they’re essentially extinct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2021 at 8:35 PM, Snapper Popper said:

Alright - I don't know if I'm looking for advice, help, reassurance, guidance or maybe abuse?  I think I just need to vent at this point.  It's pretty early for the fall run but I went out on a recently built rock jetty groin by my house today mid-day (slow day working from home).  These jetties were recently built and in the spring I hit 2 schoolies and about 300 blues over the spring/summer.  2:30 PM bright sunny day - I never get to fish at this time but I figured I had a chance so give it a shot expecting some blues with the mullet run and always hoping for some bass. 

 

This offseason I read a few books from the south shore guys like Zeno and John Skinner because I wanted to start doing less fishing and more catching.  Today went against all recommendations and what I read.  Aside from learning (through trial and error) that I need to fish at a high-ish tide, everything else was wrong.  The wind was blowing offshore.  There was literally no surf.  No waves, no suds, no surf, BRIGHT sun high in the air with no clouds.  That being said I was borderline unprepared for fishing on mossy wet rocks.  I did have on some xtratuff boots but I hooked a big slot striper right outside the rocks.  I had to get down to the real mossy rocks and on my knees because I was slipping everywhere (again expecting some blues not landing a nice meaty striped bass).

 

Lure used: a random plastic-lipped blue/white plug.  The second time used it and I don't even know the company or where I got it.  Looked a lot like a cocktail bluefish though.

Retrieve:  I was so close to the rocks at that point that I was actually lifting my rod trying to pull the plug up and reeling super hard (as to not get it stuck in the rocks) and got hit right in front of me.

 

My point here is really moot.  The plug/retrieve/conditions/location are all basically the opposite of what I thought I needed to do to catch nice bass.  I wasn't ready for it.  For all you newbies - just get the hell out there and fish.  For the vets - any sort of explanation would be great.  

 

Tight lines all!  Get out there nows the time.

Yeah so last night I released a 20" schoolie and had to get my fly line off the rocks and grass and back on the reel or in my stripping basket so I hand tossed my popper into the water to get it clear of the tangle.......yup, you guessed it.......another bass took it and ran. My advice? Just take'em any way you can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Roll up into my well hidden sketchy long walk spot and find it absolutely trashed with plastic bags, bait boxes, cutting boards, from a single tide.. I don't think any of us were raised to throw litter into nature.

Edited by DaveC
No need to call out specific or non specific ethnic groups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GarbageFish said:

my well hidden sketchy long walk spot

 

Reading this, it's like the one time I'm NOT wondering or wishing I knew where this spot was....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GarbageFish said:

I don't think any of us were raised to throw litter into nature.

Well said. For the longest time I've been trying to deconstruct this mindset. I just can't. I don't understand it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a rule, poverty, poor education, and poor culture, lead to irresponsible and destructive behavior. It happens everywhere and takes many forms, some serious and some not. Look at poor countries, for example. In this case, it expresses itself as lack of acknowledgment that fishing areas are our common space, and that fish stock is our common property. Now, when these individuals keep short fish, they should be reported.  When they liter, they should be called on it. But always have in mind: it is not race, it is cultural status and social and economic class at play here. In many respects, it is not their fault; it is their misery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rough said:

As a rule, poverty, poor education, and poor culture, lead to irresponsible and destructive behavior. It happens everywhere and takes many forms, some serious and some not. Look at poor countries, for example. In this case, it expresses itself as lack of acknowledgment that fishing areas are our common space, and that fish stock is our common property. Now, when these individuals keep short fish, they should be reported.  When they liter, they should be called on it. But always have in mind: it is not race, it is cultural status and social and economic class at play here. In many respects, it is not their fault; it is their misery.

 

Although I understand your point here, I disagree.  You don't need to be educated or wealthy to know the difference between right and wrong and people shatter cultural norms all the time.  Last summer I saw some guys from out of town using a drone to tow chunks out past the sand bar.  I will say, I thought it was pretty genius (in terms of combing the water looking for baitfish & action, not for replacing my 200-yard casts).  When I asked them if they had any luck they opened a black plastic garbage bag with 2 obviously short bass.  They certainly weren't poor or uneducated with the technology they were using to fish.  You can't blame society, education, culture, or anything else on pure stupidity.  A barely 2-month-old puppy with no knowledge of the world besides its mother will make sure to piss and **** as far away from its bed as possible because it's natural instinct not to destroy its home.  Unless it's a matter of putting food on your table or not, there's no reason to keep illegal fish, and destroying our beaches and ocean should be jail time at this point...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

53 mins ago, Snapper Popper said:

Although I understand your point here, I disagree.  You don't need to be educated or wealthy to know the difference between right and wrong and people shatter cultural norms all the time.  Last summer I saw some guys from out of town using a drone to tow chunks out past the sand bar.  I will say, I thought it was pretty genius (in terms of combing the water looking for baitfish & action, not for replacing my 200-yard casts).  When I asked them if they had any luck they opened a black plastic garbage bag with 2 obviously short bass.  They certainly weren't poor or uneducated with the technology they were using to fish.  You can't blame society, education, culture, or anything else on pure stupidity.  A barely 2-month-old puppy with no knowledge of the world besides its mother will make sure to piss and **** as far away from its bed as possible because it's natural instinct not to destroy its home.  Unless it's a matter of putting food on your table or not, there's no reason to keep illegal fish, and destroying our beaches and ocean should be jail time at this point...

Of course! It happens frequently. Every one of us can point to examples like this. However, it is not what we individually experience but what the big picture shows. Once you look at that, at large numbers, correlations, and averages, you will see that what has been said above stands. Also have in mind that by education is meant enculturation in general, not just the earning of some technical skill or a college degree. Similarly, it is an error to understand wealth in exclusively financial terms.

 

Failure to obtain the proper insight and properly interpret such phenomena easily leads, especially when accompanied by anger and frustration, to pseudo-explanations based on race, ethnicity, immigration status, and the like. I am not calling you out on that, of course, but we see it happening all the time.

 

I will stop here as the discussion has drifted far away from the OP.

Edited by Rough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

East, Central, West. Day and night. Upcoming and outgoing tide. Etc, etc, etc.

 

Forgot about just me — I haven’t seen a fish pulled out of the surf this October. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.