Snapper Popper

FALL RUN - I give up

Rate this topic

450 posts in this topic

11pm went to a new spot my buddy had seen a few good bodies of fish feed at.

Employee asks for permit and ramsacks car for fishing tackle. I park and walk a mile through brush, marsh, rocks and road.

I decend towards the water only to find a huge bucket brigade with all the usual suspects and their cars ditched on the side of the road.

Bucket after Bucket of 4" BSB were loaded into minivans.

There was kids, and plenty of bystanders with no intention of fishing. I wasn't trying to get into it.

3 hours ago, GarbageFish said:

11pm went to a new spot my buddy had seen a few good bodies of fish feed at.

Employee asks for permit and ramsacks car for fishing tackle. I park and walk a mile through brush, marsh, rocks and road.

I decend towards the water only to find a huge bucket brigade with all the usual suspects and their cars ditched on the side of the road.

There was kids, and plenty of bystanders with no intention of fishing. I wasn't trying to get into it.

Gotta call the DEC in these situations. Yea they may not show up until long after they’ve left, but at least it’s an attempt to stop this behavior. 

21 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Gotta call the DEC in these situations. Yea they may not show up until long after they’ve left, but at least it’s an attempt to stop this behavior. 

DEC has been checking every bridge and even the aforementioned spot but its always at 2pm Saturday afternoon.

the only "off hours" time ive seen a DEC was doing the boston marathon from a jetty in howling 30mph NW winds with a 40" bass and the only soul in sight was a guy playing bag pipes in parking lot.  The DEC had to ask for a photo, I will update later.

3 hours ago, GarbageFish said:

" What is your emergency"

"There are some strange man loading and unloading stuff from their cars; They are caring lots of stuff around and  I am afraid that some of them may have guns. I am trying to fish here but I am afraid for my safety"

if the DEC can manage to swing through all of the hunting spots from Smithtown to South Hampton there is no reason they cant check out the state/local fishing spots.

The $45 I dropped on tags and $25 freshwater license... No reason they shouldn't slap $20 to fish saltwater and actively patrol piers to the commercial buttholes.

Just now, GarbageFish said:

No reason they shouldn't slap $20 to fish saltwater and actively patrol piers to the commercial buttholes.

Even $10 would do.

Personally, I wouldn't paying $50

But, we know, charging for marine license would start a revolution.

On 10/19/2021 at 1:06 PM, ifishthebadspots said:

Nice fish, on a door knob too!

Its time for them to hit the road ..... someone's gotta open the door :laugh:

1 hour ago, GarbageFish said:

DEC has been checking every bridge and even the aforementioned spot but its always at 2pm Saturday afternoon.

the only "off hours" time ive seen a DEC was doing the boston marathon from a jetty in howling 30mph NW winds with a 40" bass and the only soul in sight was a guy playing bag pipes in parking lot.  The DEC had to ask for a photo, I will update later.

They’re ridiculously understaffed. I forgot the exact number per region, but the territory a single DEC officer covers is huge. However, they will respond to most calls, even off hours….eventually.  I do wish regular officers had the ability to enforce fish and game regs. I’m pretty sure state park officers are permitted to, but they’re too busy questioning what I’m doing at a park at 2 AM with a clearly visible 11’ rod on my roof and a bright green permit on the dash.

Cutting the DEC a little slack here... I fished 2 weeks in a row at a well know "permit only" bridge on the south shore...gravel lot was packed.. fish were NOT (LOL)  DEC showed every night because it was a guaranteed way to fill ticket quotas.

50% of the cars didn't have night permits and 50% of the "cultural" fisherman had a blank stare when asked to furnish their marine rec papers.

No fish caught...but tickets o'plenty.

Mind you this was like 11pm on Tuesday   or Thursday.

22 mins ago, C.Robin said:

questioning what I’m doing at a park at 2 AM with a clearly visible 11’ rod on my roof and a bright green permit on the dash.

lol one of the guys will not engage in friendly conversation with me for anything.

heck, I want to bring the guy a large coffee or something. my dumba$$ coming by at 11pm every night.

24 mins ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Cutting the DEC a little slack here... I fished 2 weeks in a row at a well know "permit only" bridge on the south shore...gravel lot was packed.. fish were NOT (LOL)  DEC showed every night because it was a guaranteed way to fill ticket quotas.

50% of the cars didn't have night permits and 50% of the "cultural" fisherman had a blank stare when asked to furnish their marine rec papers.

No fish caught...but tickets o'plenty.

Mind you this was like 11pm on Tuesday   or Thursday.

I haven’t fished that spot in years, but now I’m considering going again just for the entertainment. 

Complicated question, but I always appreciate the insight of the folks on this site: 

Why do you think fishing picked up on the island this week? Was it the cold front this past weekend? The full moon? Heavier winds (20+ mph onshore tomorrow night)? 

Curious what you think!