Snapper Popper

FALL RUN - I give up

Rate this topic

450 posts in this topic

Alright - I don't know if I'm looking for advice, help, reassurance, guidance or maybe abuse?  I think I just need to vent at this point.  It's pretty early for the fall run but I went out on a recently built rock jetty groin by my house today mid-day (slow day working from home).  These jetties were recently built and in the spring I hit 2 schoolies and about 300 blues over the spring/summer.  2:30 PM bright sunny day - I never get to fish at this time but I figured I had a chance so give it a shot expecting some blues with the mullet run and always hoping for some bass. 

This offseason I read a few books from the south shore guys like Zeno and John Skinner because I wanted to start doing less fishing and more catching.  Today went against all recommendations and what I read.  Aside from learning (through trial and error) that I need to fish at a high-ish tide, everything else was wrong.  The wind was blowing offshore.  There was literally no surf.  No waves, no suds, no surf, BRIGHT sun high in the air with no clouds.  That being said I was borderline unprepared for fishing on mossy wet rocks.  I did have on some xtratuff boots but I hooked a big slot striper right outside the rocks.  I had to get down to the real mossy rocks and on my knees because I was slipping everywhere (again expecting some blues not landing a nice meaty striped bass).

Lure used: a random plastic-lipped blue/white plug.  The second time used it and I don't even know the company or where I got it.  Looked a lot like a cocktail bluefish though.

Retrieve:  I was so close to the rocks at that point that I was actually lifting my rod trying to pull the plug up and reeling super hard (as to not get it stuck in the rocks) and got hit right in front of me.

My point here is really moot.  The plug/retrieve/conditions/location are all basically the opposite of what I thought I needed to do to catch nice bass.  I wasn't ready for it.  For all you newbies - just get the hell out there and fish.  For the vets - any sort of explanation would be great.  

Tight lines all!  Get out there nows the time.

Can't catch a fish if your line's not in the water. 

During the fall run, fish are aggressive to put the weight on to carry them over the migration and the winter. Best time to fish in my opinion. Fresh, salt, this is the time! Get out there!

thats fishing, sometimes you wil randomly catch fish, but if you were catching you would have went in better conditions and did better, but you should watch conditions closely and hopefully they line up soon so you can go catching at that spot before they move on

Congrats on a memorable catch.

The fish saw a prey escaping into the jetty rocks and pounced on it.  Read all the books you want, but understand that there are not many absolutes in fishing, just trends and conditions that are more faborable..  The one absolute is that you can't catch a fish without a line in the water. 

Another fishing phenomenon is that great things can happen when you least expect it.  For this reason we should always be prepared to maximize success and safety.  

IMO that's quite common in my experience, when i first started fishing the rocks (as well as the surf) i would try and cast as far as i could . Lots of times the hook up would be just as you described extremely close to the rocks .  One of my biggest fish was just as i was going to lift  the plug out of the water go figure. 

On the Nightshift podcast, Campo put it best. Everything works and there are no hard set rules, just some things work better than others at a given tme. 

Good luck and nice catch.

10 mins ago, i_like_poppers said:

On the Nightshift podcast, Campo put it best. Everything works and there are no hard set rules, just some things work better than others at a given tme. 

Good luck and nice catch.

Was going to comment the same thing. That mantra really helped me too-- forget what works for everyone else bc you/I aren't fishing the way they are. Get out there and try it for yourself, see what works for you!!

Welcome to the grind. Get out there and fish if ya enjoy it. We all get real frustrated some times. I tend to curse at myself on a nightly basis…part of this whole sick game we all love to play. Put in the time and you will be rewarded. Things change all the time. 

Also…hate to be that guy but don’t tell anyone anything :niffty:

Edited by CLFish5

17 mins ago, cheech said:

It’s only been fall for a week and half!

Something about catching a bass ANYWHERE in September or October that makes people shout in all caps "FALL RUN".

Slots can stage up off a jetty all summer long if the biomass supports it and far from behaving as a migrating fish.

I have caught numerous fish tight to the rocks and some quality fish especially when mullet were around.

Never stop your retrieve with a plug when you think you are too close. Use a swimmer that sits higher in the water column when working tight to the rocks. Bucktails I would real up faster when I knew I was getting close.

I have on many occasions casted parallel with the jetty and then started my retrieve.  

The one thing I hate when fishing on the rocks at night is when someone walks out without a care in the world and his light is bouncing off the rocks and the water. I always cup my light so as not to spook some fish that are holding tight to the rocks.

Jetty's in general are fish magnets especially if deeper water is close.  

10 hours ago, MikeK said:

Congrats on a memorable catch.

The fish saw a prey escaping into the jetty rocks and pounced on it.  Read all the books you want, but understand that there are not many absolutes in fishing, just trends and conditions that are more faborable..  The one absolute is that you can't catch a fish without a line in the water. 

Another fishing phenomenon is that great things can happen when you least expect it.  For this reason we should always be prepared to maximize success and safety.  

Agreed - I will say that I wasn't prepared on the safety front because of the slow spring/summer.  It was surely a memorable catch though.