LockedDrag

How hard do you set the hook?

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

If the hook isn’t “set hard enough” and the fish gets off, what happens? Do people stroke out? Hook set shaming? No pictures? Humiliation? Temper tantrum? Man card revoked?

Just curious. 

On 9/29/2021 at 8:36 PM, GoneCoastal said:

I hit em like they are trying to steal my lunch money ! Never had one come in buttoned (yet) 

Assuming you meant unbuttoned, which will happen and there is no answer other than they probably weren't hooked good to begin with. Sometimes fish hooked in the mouth area we will call them lips, that is fleshy stretchy skin the hooks begin to make the hole bigger and hooks can slip out. Keep hitting them and you'll create this situation without just the fish thrashing and twisting doing it. 

Best to keep top quality hooks and keep them sharpened, you'll land way more than lose but there are times that because maybe they didn't attack it right or it just wasn't hooked good it happens. Sometimes when you do land them, you wonder how they stayed stuck, other times you have to work to get the hooks out without bending or breaking them. 

Of more concern to me is landing them on an open beach, particularly bigger fish, they like to roll in the wash, many cut lines in thar, thats why a leader helps. And get them near rocks and they head right for them, again cut or tangled lines which are mostly a sign of trouble for the angler.  

I hit em like they are trying to steal my lunch money ! Never had one come in buttoned (yet) 

Quintuplet posts. sorry.

Edited by Highlander1

Quintuplet #2

Edited by Highlander1

Quintuplet #3

Edited by Highlander1

Quintuplet #4

Edited by Highlander1

Quintuplet #5

Edited by Highlander1

On 9/29/2021 at 10:28 PM, UncleJohn said:

I generally try to set the hook pretty hard.   This reminds me of something that happened earlier this summer.   I was hoping for Spanish Mackerel, Albies or Bonito.    I was blind casting and I got a nice hit and set the hook.... nothing but it felt like the lure got fouled.   It had a strange wobble to it ... As I reeled in the lure I saw that there was something red fouled on the hook.   On closer inspection I realized it was one complete gill section from a Spanish Mackerel ..    I had actually yanked a gill out of the Spanish Mackerel   Wish I had taken a picture ...  

Out blue fishing on the Ms Barnegat Light one time and my buddy Bob sets the hook on a fish and reeled in a set of bluefish lips only. The rest of the day, the battle cry was, Fish on, Face off!  :laugh: 

10 hours ago, Mr.Belmar said:

#classic 

I set the hook hard unless, of coarse I’m fishing for smaller fish... 

(Ditto)

i think there is a few things to keep in mind here.... first it is easier to set the hook with braid compared to mono - but I don’t use braid anymore....so I’m unsure if you can compare the two.... but even more then this- if your targeting bigger bass (like you should be) they have a much tougher lip and it’s harder to penetrate- in fact sometimes even a second hookset is in order ensure the hook is set.  I have lost good fish due to improper lightweight  hooksetting, you think you set the hook- drag starts running... then pop and nothing! Errrr 

(Ditto)

also to add  to @Heavy Hooksetter other comment- using a lighter/smaller rod will result in loss of bigger fish... I think most guys are now using like 7ft range 1/2 to 2oz rods- throwing smaller profile things (sooo maybe guys are targeting smaller fish?) Thus you don’t need to set the hook as hard on a 15 to 20” fish... if that’s the type of fish your fishing for? 

(Ditto, if you're fishing with small offerings and realistically speaking now, that's pretty much what you're doing,, you can get lucky but, that requires the last keyword luck.

Any angler that's worth his salt and is looking for larger fish will knowingly be fishing  larger offerings and not a 3-in white curly tail on a half ounce lead head.)

i have learned my lesson to never be under gunned again after loosing a good sized fish...and HH actually helped me with that! 

(Good on you Mr Belmar for actually paying attention to me and listening, you ready listened you went fishing and you proved it exactly as I told you, congrats on that.)

I have heard numerous reports this summer- some on here and some by word of mouth- that they hooked up with a big fish but couldn’t turn the fish and the fish ended up going around some structure and broke off the line! Now the fish is lost... and also the plug! 

(Yep yep that used to happen to me quite a few times until I learned to step up the size of the gear the power of the gear and it has all worked out well)

I know the bigger gear and x-heavy rod may not be ergonomic and not the current cool stick to have... but I for one am thankful for my stick! 

(Damn skippy!!, If you are going hunting for bear, be loaded for bear!!)

Actually just a week ago I hooked up with a good sized fish  and had to haul the fish in right along 3 piling each spaced about 10ft apart... and wouldn’t you know it that there fish tried to run around each one of those piling! I was thankful I had an x-heavy power! rod and was able to stop the fish and turn him in... otherwise I would have lost the fish.... and my plug.... anyways- I Had a full swing hook set on that fish- starting with my rod pointing at the fish

(Very well done Mr. Belmar, you stay on point and be ready to cross their eyes and stand on their nose you've already seen what I told you is true so, continue as such)

HH

13 hours ago, Danthe said:

If the hook isn’t “set hard enough” and the fish gets off, what happens? Do people stroke out? Hook set shaming? No pictures? Humiliation? Temper tantrum? Man card revoked?

Just curious. 

No one likes to lose a fish and you know that. We're man, apex predators, when we fail we are unhappy. Leave your negativity at home.

I normally give it a good sharp sweep from the rod being parallel w the ground either up or more often sidearm until whatever rod I’m using which is normally matched to my tackle and fish I’m targeting reaches the point in its arc where it gets to its fully loaded position. It feels natural and if you’re using the right tackle it should easily accomplish the intent without damage to tackle or fish. 

I’d call my hook-set more Curt Schilling than Pedro Martinez.