LockedDrag

How hard do you set the hook?

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

One quick jolt that's not very hard actually.  Just me but I don't believe swinging for the upper deck is not needed and may have an opposite affect.

I just let the fish swallow the hook till it protrudes barely out of the anus, then when it's on the deck I apply enough pressure swiftly to eviscerate the cavity and to disengage themselves.  There by ready to bait the hook again for a quick drop to the depths again . 

In my opinion this is extremely easy to figure out, the answer will vary because the rod and line vary between users. What I did was too walk off your farthest cast, or drift, tie off to a stationary object and simulate setting the hook. You'll know right away how much "stretch" must be eliminated for a hookset

As long as your hooks are sticky sharp I think ripping it hard is a little excessive. I'm not a freshwater guy, but I always laugh at those guys setting the hook on a largemouth and launching it onto the grass behind them. Is it necessary? I have no idea. 

On 10/6/2021 at 9:35 AM, jerseyhunter said:

I just let the fish swallow the hook till it protrudes barely out of the anus, then when it's on the deck I apply enough pressure swiftly to eviscerate the cavity and to disengage themselves.  There by ready to bait the hook again for a quick drop to the depths again . 

lol....i gotta try this

On 10/6/2021 at 9:35 AM, jerseyhunter said:

I just let the fish swallow the hook till it protrudes barely out of the anus, then when it's on the deck I apply enough pressure swiftly to eviscerate the cavity and to disengage themselves

9 hours ago, SurfcasterJim said:

lol....i gotta try this

No good

You will need to get hook out through the anus and you will need to cut your line.

Retying with smelly fingers is not easy.

Unless, with bigger fish, you can try to push rod and reel through the fish, from mouth and get it out on the other end.

But, definitely,  this will not work with smaller fish,

Stomach canal may not be wide enough.

I used to set the hook hard till I got a nice hit close in and set the lure sn

apping into my head..glad I fish with dull hooks

Now I crimp my barbs and just have fun with it...I'm 2 for 7 this year. 8 if you count the damn seagull that attacked my lure as the fish hit it...I should have set it hard then 

On 10/4/2021 at 3:45 PM, DZ said:

Not nearly as hard as I did when using mono.  Kind of miss that aspect now that I’m using braid.  Now I just lift the rod tip.   

Yup you have an incredible amount of leverage using a 10 foot rod and braided line. When fishing a sharp bucktail it's like hitting a brick wall, you can simply lift your rod tip

There's very little power at the point of the hook anyway, I remember seeing a test a long time ago where the guy measured it somehow with a scale or something like that and it was only like 2 to 4 lb of Force if I remember correctly.

I could be off on that because it was a long time ago.

Anyhow I like to see someone resourceful enough and willing to create their own test using a rod and rail line leader block of wood and a heavy line and try and drive the hook into the wood with a scale in between,,,, maybe somebody will try it.

I know I swing hard on them and it's just by nature I don't have to explain, you see my name.

HH

I shoot for a moderate hookset most of the time. Unless I'm using a single-hooked lure on a plugging action rod then I'll be more likely to do the Roland Martin circa 1978 hookset

I could be wrong but, the guys that I'm seeing out there and the stuff they fishing with are rods that are rated say half to 2 oz or 3/4 to 3 oz and they're using little bucktails and little leadheads with rubber on it I can see setting a hook like for trout but when you're using it 4 oz of 5 oz swimmer or bucktail you got to have something to dig them hooks in and let's face it, there is not one of us true anglers here that would caught dead in water where large can show up at any point esp when we know they are around.

I'm sure none of us would like to be in waters with obstructions, anything that could hinder us from catching a large fish which can show up at any time in that area wherever it might be so, you really want to heavy duty stick and that's what you use.

If if you're fishing with small s*** then you have the appropriate Rod and whatever happens is on you, if you're going after bear, be ready and  it do what's necessary.

l prefer to never be undergunned!

Had happened before,, I won't let it again!

I'm going to drive the steel home.

Keep your tip down and when you get whacked, cross their eyes!

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

10 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I know I swing hard on them and it's just by nature I don't have to explain, you see my name.

HH

#classic 

I set the hook hard unless, of coarse I’m fishing for smaller fish... 

i think there is a few things to keep in mind here.... first it is easier to set the hook with braid compared to mono - but I don’t use braid anymore....so I’m unsure if you can compare the two.... but even more then this- if your targeting bigger bass (like you should be) they have a much tougher lip and it’s harder to penetrate- in fact sometimes even a second hookset is in order ensure the hook is set.  I have lost good fish due to improper lightweight  hooksetting, you think you set the hook- drag starts running... then pop and nothing! Errrr 

also to add  to @Heavy Hooksetter other comment- using a lighter/smaller rod will result in loss of bigger fish... I think most guys are now using like 7ft range 1/2 to 2oz rods- throwing smaller profile things (sooo maybe guys are targeting smaller fish?) Thus you don’t need to set the hook as hard on a 15 to 20” fish... if that’s the type of fish your fishing for? 

i have learned my lesson to never be under gunned again after loosing a good sized fish...and HH actually helped me with that! 

I have heard numerous reports this summer- some on here and some by word of mouth- that they hooked up with a big fish but couldn’t turn the fish and the fish ended up going around some structure and broke off the line! Now the fish is lost... and also the plug! 

I know the bigger gear and x-heavy rod may not be ergonomic and not the current cool stick to have... but I for one am thankful for my stick! 

Actually just a week ago I hooked up with a good sized fish  and had to haul the fish in right along 3 piling each spaced about 10ft apart... and wouldn’t you know it that there fish tried to run around each one of those piling! I was thankful I had an x-heavy action rod and was able to stop the fish and turn him in... otherwise I would have lost the fish.... and my plug.... anyways- I Had a full swing hook set on that fish- starting with my rod pointing at the fish

Edited by Mr.Belmar