LockedDrag

How hard do you set the hook?

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

. . . make sure your hooks are really REALLY sharp . . . you'd be surprised you don't have to be Rambo to get s good hook set . . .

for any fish other than small pan fish or crappie

I give them the beans when I set the hook, especially tog and striper. 

I also make sure my hooks are sticky sharp, not point is setting the hook if the hook itself is crap

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tog, stripers, blues will set them hard.

Fluke, scup, seabass will be a flick of the wrist. 

Many times you set it too hard and rip either their skin, mouth, lip and lose the fish. 

How many times I've seen myself bringing a fish in that's barely hooked on to the lip and had ripped about to come off.

My biggest surprise catch was on a #6 hook on a 4lb fluke. I thought I snagged and did a swing and reel. Then it fights after 5 turns of my reel. Bringing the fish in only to lipped it and the lip ripped. If I swing it again to hook it, I would surely ripped the lip off.

One key thing is to make sure your hooks are sharp.

Edited by foxfai

Depends.....fish species, depth (amount of line out), what your fishing with.  If I'm fishing for fluke and I have gamakatsu or owner hooks, braid, fast action rod in 40 feet of water then a quick snap is all it takes.  If I'm 3-waying bucktails for blues/bass with a 12 ounce sinker in 60 feet of water then I'm Bill Dance-ing it. I just start reeling with circle hooks.

Not nearly as hard as I did when using mono.  Kind of miss that aspect now that I’m using braid.  Now I just lift the rod tip.   

21 hours ago, DZ said:

Not nearly as hard as I did when using mono.  Kind of miss that aspect now that I’m using braid.  Now I just lift the rod tip.   

I don’t see the point in pretending to set the hook real hard. It’s for show. If the drag is set  right it determines how hard you can set the hook. If the hooks are sharp they will sink in with drag pressure. How do you take 7 swings without leaving slack 7 times. The lips you are doing all this abuse to could be on a world record Weakfish. The  fishermen I know don’t cross the fishes eyes or set the hook 7 times any more than they yell “ got’em on” with each hook up. 1 raising of the rod with the line tight is all that is necessary. 

37 mins ago, tristate said:

I don’t see the point in pretending to set the hook real hard. It’s for show. If the drag is set  right it determines how hard you can set the hook. If the hooks are sharp they will sink in with drag pressure. How do you take 7 swings without leaving slack 7 times. The lips you are doing all this abuse to could be on a world record Weakfish. The  fishermen I know don’t cross the fishes eyes or set the hook 7 times any more than they yell “ got’em on” with each hook up. 1 raising of the rod with the line tight is all that is necessary. 

Yep.  I’m old enough to remember when braid and graphite rods were brand new to the industry.  Like most new developments  they were used first in the largemouth bass tournament fishing.  Guys would set the hook like they did with mono.  They were snapping graphite/boron rods in half and sometimes falling out of the bass boat.  It was hilarious.  

1 hour ago, Danthe said:

Nothing is worse the seeing a grown man doing the Bass Master Hook Set Orgasm

Good grief, buy some sharp hooks. 

LOL, I know that reference. You can literally see those guys rip the fish out from the water towards them 2-3 feet airborne.

2 hours ago, Danthe said:

Good grief, buy some sharp hooks. 

Or at least sharp those hooks now and then.

For bass - a solid hit and that’s it’s, no more, no less.  With modern braids there is no reason to do anymore than that.  Mono, and a softer rod is a different story.

I set my drag fairly light. Set hook just enough to hear drag slip. Sharp hooks, no stretch in braid. Rippin lips like a bass master with 60lb test on a 4 pound fish is commical.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, tristate said:

Well said....

Most guys I see lose fish are either not very good at tying knots or use the wrong knots. Then there are the limp weak guys that pump and wiggle the rod up and down as they real and they give too much slack line with each revolution. 

Edited by aae0130

You gotta be wearing a monkey suit, talk a lot with your hands, and have a 3’ sticker on the back of your truck to be an official hard core hook setter dude. 

I’ll tell you what man....