LockedDrag

How hard do you set the hook?

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I go to town like my life depends on it and swing for the fences a few more times as an extra measure. Whether it’s scup, fluke, BSB or stripers, I hit them as hard as I can and I hand out 3-7 extra for insurance. Last thing I want is the hook not to get full penetration. 

Edited by LockedDrag

Depends if you are targeting something specific and the majority of those fish are in the spots you fish.  Weakfish, specks, ladyfish etc have soft mouths.  A hard set and you will tear the hook out or damage and deform the fishes mouth, jaw etc.  Bass,  blues and now snook, reds and tarpon in Florida.  Well, let's just say I try and break their neck.  Really species dependent as well as technique.  Jigging, trolling etc.  The fish kinda stick themselves.

2 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

I go to town like my life depends on it and swing for the fences a few more times as an extra measure. Whether it’s scup, fluke, BSB or stripers, I hit them as hard as I can and I hand out 3-7 extra for insurance. Last thing I want is the hook not to get full penetration. 

Hahaha

I generally try to set the hook pretty hard.   This reminds me of something that happened earlier this summer.   I was hoping for Spanish Mackerel, Albies or Bonito.    I was blind casting and I got a nice hit and set the hook.... nothing but it felt like the lure got fouled.   It had a strange wobble to it ... As I reeled in the lure I saw that there was something red fouled on the hook.   On closer inspection I realized it was one complete gill section from a Spanish Mackerel ..    I had actually yanked a gill out of the Spanish Mackerel   Wish I had taken a picture ...  

13 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

I generally try to set the hook pretty hard.   This reminds me of something that happened earlier this summer.   I was hoping for Spanish Mackerel, Albies or Bonito.    I was blind casting and I got a nice hit and set the hook.... nothing but it felt like the lure got fouled.   It had a strange wobble to it ... As I reeled in the lure I saw that there was something red fouled on the hook.   On closer inspection I realized it was one complete gill section from a Spanish Mackerel ..    I had actually yanked a gill out of the Spanish Mackerel   Wish I had taken a picture ...  

lol good god man 

20 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

Dayum!,,,,,glad I was not that fish!

HH

Tog and stripers, Send 'em to the moon. Especially if its a big fish, double set. Bury that f'in hook.

Everything else generally gets a solid sweep. 

On 9/29/2021 at 10:28 PM, UncleJohn said:

Sweet mother of pearl

Pretty hard but I don’t think 5-7 extras are necessary. As you keep pressure on the fish it will go deeper as the fish shakes its head. You actually risk ripping the hook out and creating a hole. I also don’t like to do that since I release 99% of my bass. 

13 mins ago, Bdemiri23 said:

Pretty hard but I don’t think 5-7 extras are necessary. As you keep pressure on the fish it will go deeper as the fish shakes its head. You actually risk ripping the hook out and creating a hole. I also don’t like to do that since I release 99% of my bass. 

In my opinion,  this is THEE answer...

Nicely said

Imagine putting a sharp hook on your finger and pulling it. you really don't need to set a hook that hard, even on tough lips.I give it a firm set and thats it. If I have a poor spot hooked setting hard isnt going to help me out and might make things worst.

If you have a lot of experience in actually catching you know what a well hooked up fish feels like. So its unnecessary to keep swinging. Some of you must be the reason I see so many dead shorts and bluefish floating in the water....Knock it off.....