FlookinGoogin

Mono over Braid??? When?

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

For bottom fishing, I've been all braid.   Yikes, actually -- all my setups have been braid for the past decade...

BUT..... is there a time for mono?   

I've been told flatlining chunks often result in better hookups with mono -- just because how the line "floats"....  Is this true?   I'm just a googin trying to learn :)

Bottom fishing???

Fluke fishing??? - Say it isn't so!

The only "reputable" mono talk I've heard for any inshore fishery around here (doesn't mean I agree lol) are some toggers fishing deeper wrecks. They swear straight mono will result in fewer lost fish, fewer false alarm hooksets (that makes sense)...AND they fish them on glass rods. 

The thought of straight mono + glass blanks makes me slightly ill, but these are from people I wouldn't dismiss out of hand. My own togging is done shallow off a kayak, and I have never lost a fish going braid to leader...even crushing down barbs I've never lost a tog unless they shear me off a rock. 

I always use 20 to 30 lb mono fishing around rocks tight find it more resistant to break-off from  casting distance not issue because throwing along rocks close also stretches more forgiving for those big close in fish that seam to hammer your lure 10 ft away

The only time I have fished mono in probably 20 years was this past spring when I took an old fiberglass trout rod my father built out for a day. 

Other than that everything gets braid, trout to tuna.

2 mins ago, Popasilov said:

Cuban yoyo.jpg

That is a Cuban Yo-Yo.

Yo-yo fishing for yellowtail involves a high speed reel with a high rate retrieve and a heavy jig like a Salas 6xjr, or Tady 4/0.  It is sometimes known as the "Mexican rip."

7 mins ago, Mike Mendez said:

That is a Cuban Yo-Yo.

Yo-yo fishing for yellowtail involves a high speed reel with a high rate retrieve and a heavy jig like a Salas 6xjr, or Tady 4/0.  It is sometimes known as the "Mexican rip."

Thanks

As soon as somebody mentions yoyo fishing, cuban reel comes first to my mind.

Buddy of mine swears by mono instead of braid to increase reaction time.

Says that the stretch of mono allows him a greater window to set hooks.

Seeing as how I've never out-fished him, I can't disagree. 20+ more years of fishing notwithstanding....

I have felt for a very long time that braid is simply a better line than mono in all the types of fishing that I do. From conventionals to spinners from plugs to bait it covers it all better than mono ever did for me.