Danthe

Pliers, Cutters, Crimps, Split Rings.....

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Can these pieces of crap be replaced with one? Maybe two? Lanyard and a belt pouch preferred. 

These will be resting in the sound, of anyone want them....

3C58D52D-11B7-4FDC-95A5-AA021E4EDFDE.jpeg

You could narrow it down to two or three. Get the right tool for the right job. Get an aluminum pliers for removing hooks, a mini bolt cutter for cutting hooks, and an aluminum split ring pliers. 
You could use the split ring pliers for removing hooks from fish if you wanted, I find them annoying for that purpose. 

There are split ring pliers that have cutters.  None that I know of that crimp as well.  However any time I use split ring pliers to remove hooks I end up twisting the jaws.  

Yeah, the split ring pliers aren’t really an “on the fly” kinda thing. 

I’ll strike that from the deal. Nothing pictured cuts braid worth a schit. 

Those crimpers are trash. 

4 mins ago, Danthe said:

Before spending the $$ on van staal pliers I carried these for braid as recommended on here.EAED2C8F-B3E0-4D3A-A071-CA1FB50BB94A.jpeg.4106ac505253514403bd109bbd04905d.jpegI carry these to cut hooks.. stuff away nicely in my plug bag DDD4F12D-38C8-4386-8953-6ED847A4873D.jpeg.0932d73d676be42910faa64dd57d4889.jpegaside from that I don’t carry any other tools.

Just now, bbfish said:

The knipex are worth their weight in gold for fishing.  I ordered more than one just so I can have them handy.

Things are awesome. Cut a 4/0 like butter lol

2 hours ago, Danthe said:

Can these pieces of crap be replaced with one? Maybe two? Lanyard and a belt pouch preferred. 

These will be resting in the sound, of anyone want them....

3C58D52D-11B7-4FDC-95A5-AA021E4EDFDE.jpeg

No.

Fishing on a pier today. A guy was unhooking a Spanish Mackerel and the Got-cha plug ended up with one hook in the fish and one hook in his finger passed the barb. Luckily all of the local boys on pier carry 6.5 inch Manley Pliers on their hip. They were able to quickly cut hooks from fish and finger. 

3 hours ago, Danthe said:

Most aluminum pliers should have a decent set of cutters on them that work well on braid. You don’t need to spend huge money, $40 will get you something decent. 

On 9/29/2021 at 6:22 PM, bbfish said:

The knipex are worth their weight in gold for fishing.  I ordered more than one just so I can have them handy.

On 9/29/2021 at 6:23 PM, natejeep said:

Things are awesome. Cut a 4/0 like butter lol

The Capri are just as capable...and after cutting thousands of hardened stanless rings....actually hold up better than knipex.

My friend cuts rings for tuna irons......rolls the straight steel wire on a mandrel.....like a tightly coiled spring....and has a mechanical jig that holds the pliers to cut....cutting by hand gets tiresome after 10 cuts....

The knipex wears out faster.....cool experiment....can't think of a better test..and the steel is harder than a 5x mustad

FWIW I love the knipex tools....Their pliers wrench...it's at the top of my list for  must have tool for reel service......

Sargent sportsmate will cover hook removal, braid cutting and hook cutting up to a 5x mustad treble....cuts 4x vmc's like butter.

Unfortunately they're no longer made and are very sought after....GOOD LUCK FINDING ANY....you may luck out posting a WTB somewhere on the interwebs.

Split ring pliers are a bench / truck tool......you already have that covered.....I like texas tackle

22 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

The Capri are just as capable...and after cutting thousands of hardened stanless rings....actually hold up better than knipex.

My friend cuts rings for tuna irons......rolls the straight steel wire on a mandrel.....like a tightly coiled spring....and has a mechanical jig that holds the pliers to cut....cutting by hand gets tiresome after 10 cuts....

The knipex wears out faster.....cool experiment....can't think of a better test..and the steel is harder than a 5x mustad

FWIW I love the knipex tools....Their pliers wrench...it's at the top of my list for  must have tool for reel service......

I’ll have to give them a shot if/when the knipex crap out. I like them because they store away great in the plug bag. Compared to these how ‘low-pro’ would you consider them? D905EAB4-8175-414A-A675-00EC841CC176.jpeg.ba6cbc6137ba047b320d8597f010e0cd.jpeg(Moving the needle so you can see the pliers)