BrianBM

Rivian R1T

29 posts in this topic

There is an interesting review of Rivian's new R1T electric pickup at thedrive dot com.  The reviewer, driving a preproduction sample, was quite favorably impressed.

The R1T has an electric motor for each wheel. This is nice, no need for anything that looks like a transmission. At the same time, the current battery pack is rated at 315 miles. I am waiting for the first useful test of a battery-powered P/U on a beach; does this hold enough amps to get me to the beach, and home again? I dunno, running on sand with deflated tires is energy-intensive. A bigger battery pack will be available next year, for a $10K increase.

Let's have the cylinder heads go read the review and comment, please. Thedrive is a funny site, it mixes reviews of autos with talk of military systems. I don't know how seriously gearheads take the site.

Better still, someone needs to buy an R1T and drive it on the beach. Any volunteers?

10 hours ago, G8trwood said:

the guy is also doing a humvee electric conversion just for grins.

I watched that video a couple days ago. If the Rivian can handle those trails than the beach will be no problem at all. I really like that truck, except for the price 

4 hours ago, BrianBM said:

What does deflating for driving in sand do to the vehicle's range? I wanna know.

Probably nothing to worry about unless you plan on driving 300+ miles on the sand. 

6 hours ago, G8trwood said:

Reduces rolling efficiency, thus requiring more amps per distance traveled 

Yes. Does Rivian's current battery pack have the amps to do it?  For how far? For how long? And in what temperatures?

I like Robert Moses State Park, Smith Point County Park, and one or two others. Some early adopter is bound to take a Rivian on one of them within a year of the truck becoming available. I look forward to reading how it does.

3 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Yes. Does Rivian's current battery pack have the amps to do it?  For how far? For how long? And in what temperatures?

I like Robert Moses State Park, Smith Point County Park, and one or two others. Some early adopter is bound to take a Rivian on one of them within a year of the truck becoming available. I look forward to reading how it does.

Check out this video series where they are doing the Trans America trail with Rivians. They are on the beach on the cover photo  

I'd rather get the hummer.....they needed to bring this out a few years ago to have a chance......I bet they're in trouble 6 months after sales begin....

until the super charger network is where it needs to be I'm buying gas

11 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I'd rather get the hummer.....they needed to bring this out a few years ago to have a chance......I bet they're in trouble 6 months after sales begin....

The hummer isn’t supposed to be available until 2024. 
I think I would trust the reliability of an unknown company like Rivian over GM. That’s how much I like GM. 

2 hours ago, z-man said:

The hummer isn’t supposed to be available until 2024. 
I think I would trust the reliability of an unknown company like Rivian over GM. That’s how much I like GM. 

But at least GM will be around in 2024.........

14 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Exactly. I pull into a gas station and in less than 5 minutes my tank is full and I can travel 400 miles.