Oso

Who’s Still Getting After It

Rate this topic

100 posts in this topic

In the last 50 hours of outings (since June), I have caught a grand total of 0 fish in the Portland area. 

I’ve fished pencil poppers, spooks, SP minnows, bucktails, SlugGos, paddletails, RonZs, intermediate and floating lines, gurglers, flat wings, clousers, crabs, squid flies, surf candies, shrimp, and dragon tails at all kinds of tides and times on beaches, river mouths and estuaries.  The oof factor is quite high. 

I suppose the moral of the story is to enjoy every fish and that I’m, in fact, not more intelligent than a fish :wee:. Will keep at it for the next week or two and cross my fingers from some divine intervention to break this nasty skunk off. Be well, all!

1 hour ago, msd207 said:

In the last 50 hours of outings (since June), I have caught a grand total of 0 fish in the Portland area. 

I’ve fished pencil poppers, spooks, SP minnows, bucktails, SlugGos, paddletails, RonZs, intermediate and floating lines, gurglers, flat wings, clousers, crabs, squid flies, surf candies, shrimp, and dragon tails at all kinds of tides and times on beaches, river mouths and estuaries.  The oof factor is quite high. 

I suppose the moral of the story is to enjoy every fish and that I’m, in fact, not more intelligent than a fish :wee:. Will keep at it for the next week or two and cross my fingers from some divine intervention to break this nasty skunk off. Be well, all!

Hate to say it but you can add my thirty or so hours from last week and this weekend in the the Portland area to make it a clean 80 with zero fish. 

2 hours ago, msd207 said:

I’m shocked, the last two nights in Portland, my buddy has caught multiple 40+“ fish. I’m heading out tonight with him since I have the day off work tomorrow. Hopefully I didn’t miss them!

Absolutely perfect weather yesterday. Launched the kayak in Scarborough around 11, saw a few sporadic surface busts and caught one schoolie. Went out to my usual spot in Portland around 5 and got one big topwater blow up and another follow, but no fish caught. Signs of life keeping me motivated to keep going!

Still seeing some activity and caught a couple of fish in the greater Portland area.  Enough action to hopefully get me out for another trip or two. . . nice weather doesn't hurt either!

1 hour ago, pogy chaser said:

Still seeing some activity and caught a couple of fish in the greater Portland area.  Enough action to hopefully get me out for another trip or two. . . nice weather doesn't hurt either!

Nope and it's supposed to be like this for the next five days. 

I fished Friday night north of Portland- only 4 fish, but on the first 6 casts and all 25-27"  (super fun on the 8 wt glass).  Saturday morning, I only managed a shad.  Saturday evening  I only landed 2 fish and missed a bunch more but the first fish was another 27", fat and angry.  Fished by boat in Casco Bay yesterday morning- 5 schoolies.  Fished a York County Beach yesterday afternoon for the last hour of the incoming and my son and I landed and released many, many schoolies- even was in the middle ( literally) of a blitz for about 5 minutes.  Great weekend.

I thought I was done for the season, but there’s still action in NH. I was working on the coast today and saw a bunch of birds in close on my way home. Luckily I had my travel rod packed. The fish weren’t busting the surface but they were definitely in there feeding, even well after the birds left. They were pretty shallow so I threw my Heddon chug’n spook and over the next 45 minutes caught about a half dozen schoolies up to about 25 inches. Nothing huge but aggressive and fun. I might have to find a way to fit in some fishing this weekend. 

Season is fading away and I'm sitting on the damned couch waiting for the *&#*@^%$ refrigerator to be delivered in its 5 hour window grrrr. Picked the right time to retire but wrong time to move I guess. Hopefully they show soon and I can make a run of the Southern Me/NH beaches this afternoon, this is killing me.