Oso

Who’s Still Getting After It

Rate this topic

100 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ran into some angry 24-27”  fish yesterday afternoon, incoming, 1-2’ of water on sand flat

live Mack’s were appreciated by said angry fish

still Out there 

Edited by jimbighead

Posted (edited) · Report post

Since Brun Hilda has the armor bustier and horned helmet on, I'm relegating my striper fishing to "Targets of Opportunity" now, e.g. if I see fishing breaking in the backyard or during a boat ride, I'll try.  My last few forays targeting them have been skunkings with a swirl or two at my popper.  Will off submitting my Maine Volunteer Angler Logbook until after Columbus day "just in case..."

Season ended strong with a bang-up September.  I was only down 9% from 2020 totals (570 vs 515), but up 7X from 2020 on 28+" fish (3 vs 21). Mean fish size up to 21.4" in 2021 from 19.9" in 2020 and Median fish size up to 21" in 2021 from 20" in 2020.  I made 102 bass safaris this year, averaging 5 fish per trip.  All in all, a very successful and gratifying season as I explored and mastered some new spots which let me focus on quality vs quantity.

Now it's time to dig clams and collect oysters tide willing.  That helps to dull the sting of the long wait until late May 2022...

Edited by Roccus7

I had a nice quick morning session yesterday in my kayak, second half of the incoming.  I started the morning catching small schoolies on topwater at first light and then headed to the spot where I've been having luck with larger schoolies and occasional small slots, and it didn't disappoint. I caught several feisty fish between 24"-27" before I had to head back. I noticed they seemed to prefer a pretty relaxed retrieve with my soft plastic shad. After going out with low expectations, I'll take it!

I was wondering if it was getting too late to START my fishing for this year ...(lots of family medical issues).. but reading though this, I might just have to venture out for a cast or two!

(mid coast Maine)

I went Sunday and Monday. 
Sunday: fished for about 45 mins with 6 fish nothing of size. 
monday: very windy and overcast, between 15-20 fish all with bucktails and savage gear sand eel jig in mackerel. Biggest being 29 inches. Popped one slightly larger fish off right before I could get my hand on him. Good excuse to freeze my butt off in the wind and spray 

Out Tuesday (2 fish - on pencils), Thursday (2 fish - on poppers), and Sunday (skunk).  Hope work cooperates - if so, then back out tomorrow and/or Thurs.  Needle ya say, eh?

Heading out tonight north of Portland for the first night of this moon phase. Saw some fish working on the scouting mission this afternoon. Heading out once the sun sets. Tomorrow night back to my spots close to home.

Went to a good spot in Maine for a couple hours yesterday, skunkage for me too. There were some birds working over on the NH side and I'd hoped they would move across but didn't happen. Real busy moving into new house so probably not many more trips left in me...

Back is better so I'm going to try the last of the incoming tomorrow around 10:00 AM.   Regardless of outcome, I'll be at it at least through Columbus Day, or whatever it's now called.   

I'm headed out tonight to my south of Portland spot. small negative tide gets out on a bar at sunset.  I will hit the same spot on Saturday morning.  Friday I will got to my north of Portland spot for the negative outgoing.  Sunday, I am dragging my boat to MA to fish the Essex (if I can find a launch).

Insane activity tonight. Huge pods of pogies with seals and likely bass on em. Negative tide kept us off but also great schools Of big silversides and what looked like peanuts    Slurping galore.  Competition for bait was insane.  When the tide started to fill and the sun went down we got onto a flat and started picking up fish on 4” sluggos, small tried and true al gags schoolie popper (pink) definitely some bigger fish in the mix but we didn’t get to them 

pogie chunk out fished all the top/swimmer offerings.   Fat angry small fish but a lot of them 

get out there people 

Jim 

65836E64-98ED-416E-8D44-1EA78784BF19.jpeg