Stripernut1

Reel Foot barely fits the Rods Reel Seat

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I have a new Tsunami TSSPJC-761XH Trophy Slow Pitch Jigging Rod; Casting and picked up Shimano SpeedMaster II Conventional Reel to go with it. The problem is the reel foot just barely fits on the reel seat, there is a clamp and I planned on using it, but will it be enough? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Stripernut1 said:

I have a new Tsunami TSSPJC-761XH Trophy Slow Pitch Jigging Rod; Casting and picked up Shimano SpeedMaster II Conventional Reel to go with it. The problem is the reel foot just barely fits on the reel seat, there is a clamp and I planned on using it, but will it be enough? Thanks!

Grind or file down the reel so that fits the seat properly.

27 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Grind or file down the reel so that fits the seat properly.

I would probably prefer to grind the reel seat and then tape the reel on but I definitely understand your thought process. 

Contact Shimano and query them. I have Avets and had to change out the reel foot to fit the rods. Avet was well aware of the problem. Perhaps Shimano can advise you. Good luck.

I just bought an ODM, DNA rod. My Penn BTL fits tight in the Fuji reel seat. Reel foot goe's in about a 1/4 "  real tight. ODM says it's suppose to fit tight so there is no play in the reel. 

It sounds like Tsunami screwed up and put too small of a reel seat on that rod. A jigging rod should be able to handle a decent saltwater reel not just some small freshwater reel. 

The reel is worth 2 times the rod and will likely hold its value if not modified.  Normally the clamp would work, but in this case since the rod has a trigger reel seat, the combination may be uncomfortable.  Try the combination as is and pull hard on something stationary and see if you're satisfied.  Otherwise, I'd say sell, or repurpose the rod.

I have a lighter wt version of this rod and have been having a blast jigging up lake trout with it and hoped that the heavy-duty version would work out as well... I like that the rod is "acid" wrapped and there just aren't that many like rods without going custom. Too often I have clients destroy rods, so I rarely drop big bucks on rods and I normally do just fine. At this point, I think I will keep playing with it and look for another rod that is not crazy money...

Maybe look at a Black Hole rod? Those are generally cheaper....a real basic custom could be had for fairly cheap. I bet you could find an off the shelf rod with better components......or maybe just chock up your reel until you find a rod that fits? That off brand stuff can be hit or miss. Although a simple jigging rod could be made on your own with very little effort . You aren't looking to cast far, a spiral wrap is easy to setup and uses fewer guides.

Posted (edited) · Report post

All this talk about bad rod design and seats, etc etc. I never had a cheap offbrand seat break on me.

The main problem is potentially the reel is too big for this rod.

The rod is simply not designed for a sm ii size reel.

Get a smaller reel. Or upgrade to a heavier duty rod with a bigger seat.

But if you intend to use as is. A quarter inch on both sides is still fine.  Just hand crank it fairly tight and itll still hold.

Edited by ooeric