DeepBlue85

Echo epr opinions

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi there question regarding the above rod and company and anyone that may have experience with the rod.  The performance descriptions appear to be just another broom stick on the market (which i do appreciate) but also curious about the quality an durability of an overseas rod at the $500 cost.  Any real life experience with the rod or echo's  warranty department? 

Edited by DeepBlue85

Talk to Mightyrime (a member here) about this rod.   I fish three of their other rods and they are very durable, but the EPR apparently is a different story. 

i fish both the 8wt and 10wt epr.  I think they are great rods.  Not broomsticks at all, but very fast action.  If you have ever used a GLoomis Crosscurrent GLX they sort of remind me of the same action.  They are i would say 1.5x heavy in action so an 8wt is like and 8.5wt.  I use the SA grandslam lines on mine which are a line that is 1.5x  heavy and its a perfect match.  The 8wt is a cannon i can throw small poppers for snook 80 feet into the mangroves with pretty good accuracy.  

as for breakage sadly yes.  I have broken the tip on the 8wt 2 or 3 times.  I talked to ECHO and they said yes the tip section is very thin walled to give it the fast tip action.  All breaks were from some sort of impact not fish fighting.

rods have good fighting backbone. i have landed a 20lb amberjack on the 8wt and 50lb tarpon on the 10wt.

I would say if you can find used at a good price go for it.  And if you plan on traveling with it buy a tip section. from ECHO for $50 and bring it with you as an insurance policy.

Mighty right nailed it.  Plus. I just learned something I wasn’t aware I could buy an extra tip but I’m going to do,

I have both the seven and the eight t epr.  I can’t say enough about these rods, I love   The 7 wt.  and the eight is just a cannon … if your looking for a 8 wt. I’m probably going to sell mine.  I don’t need it much. The 7 works better for schoolies for me. 

I’ve used the 8 wt.  Nice with floating lines, deft and crisp, but not my favorite for sinking lines.  Not enough even flex, too tippy.  In contrast to the Loomis CC GLX, which gobbles up sinking lines like nothing.   Echo’s warranty department is great except all product is hard to get during covid

No experience with Echo but there are some quality rods out of Korea from TFO and Redington that have proven track records and are priced considerably less. I have rods from both and am very pleased with their performance. Haven't had any warranty issues but both have a track record of excellent customer service.