JimmyBean

Hardtails 2021

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I've yet to scratch the itch. 

Anyone encounter any albies or bonitio from the shore lately? I've always had success this time of year chasing them when I was living in Rhode Island, but now that I'm back in New York I can't seem to bump into them. I fish probably five times a week, dawn and evening, and I've yet to see any on the surface.  My question is, have you had success this year? Is it too early? Not looking for spots, just curious if you guys are seeing them out there at all. I certainly am not. 

I know some years are better than others, and I've definitely been spoiled by a few lights-out seasons in RI.   

Saw what was probably albies breaking off the beach about a week ago, of course they were about 50-60 yards outside casting range. Guys on the boats looked like they were having fun though 

Septembers have sucked for hardtails in my neck of the wood last few years, but Octobers haven’t disappointed. Even some early November Albies depending on the weather.

Saw some recently on the yak, inside of an inlet.  They were busting on the surface but couldn't tell what on.  Was near a big shore spot and gestured to the fellas.  Heard a few get out but looked like they were hunkered down for bugs.  Just out of casting range for the ones I saw, I got hooked and pulled east.  Was towards my car so kept on going.  Saw a shark, not sure what kind, sleek, thin and about 5 foot long moving west on the edge of the channel, totally moving slowly and like a boss on the surface.  Wish i had my camera for that one, am curious as to what type it was.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Been a bit rough for them the past few years. They were more towards the eastern north shore and both eastern ends of the island (Montauk and north fork) but they haven't been around my usual western LI spots. Had one shot at them in august when they blitzed on some spearring but after that weekend they were gone and never to be seen again.

I remember 3 years ago when I was a student at Binghamton I would come down for a weekend and be able to catch 10 of them in a day off the beach and come back 2 weeks later in early November and they would still be there at the same spot on the south shore. But it hasn't been as crazy since.

Edited by Inception

4 hours ago, Inception said:

Been a bit rough for them the past few years. They were more towards the eastern north shore and both eastern ends of the island (Montauk and north fork) but they haven't been around my usual western LI spots. Had one shot at them in august when they blitzed on some spearring but after that weekend they were gone and never to be seen again.

I remember 3 years ago when I was a student at Binghamton I would come down for a weekend and be able to catch 10 of them in a day off the beach and come back 2 weeks later in early November and they would still be there at the same spot on the south shore. But it hasn't been as crazy since.

Yea I fish the same area, central/western LI both north and south shore. I've been out east a few times with no success, thinking I'll take a trip to the north fork this weekend and give it another go. 

12 hours ago, BrianC86 said:

Saw what was probably albies breaking off the beach about a week ago, of course they were about 50-60 yards outside casting range. Guys on the boats looked like they were having fun though 

If I had a nickel...I could buy a boat and join them. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

No one is talking about these 26” tide runners that are all over right now. Buddy sent me these. 

Edited by GarbageFish

On 9/28/2021 at 0:00 PM, JimmyBean said:

I've yet to scratch the itch. 

Anyone encounter any albies or bonitio from the shore lately? I've always had success this time of year chasing them when I was living in Rhode Island, but now that I'm back in New York I can't seem to bump into them. I fish probably five times a week, dawn and evening, and I've yet to see any on the surface.  My question is, have you had success this year? Is it too early? Not looking for spots, just curious if you guys are seeing them out there at all. I certainly am not. 

I know some years are better than others, and I've definitely been spoiled by a few lights-out seasons in RI.   

I feel your pain, ive been hunting for these little bastards since i heard the first report of them off east end. Shore has been tough recently, they've been favoring deeper water. But keep at it, they'll hopefully move in close enough to snag from the beach eventually. Plenty of bait around