odiemike86

Broken 180 Drive (again)

21 posts in this topic

26 mins ago, Africaster said:

It’s a brilliant idea and hoping it’s a long term solution … the only weakness is that the super strong stainless screws are embedded in the chinnesium Hobie plastic and hence are only as strong as it

The chineesium will eventually fail as it always does.  When it does i will be forced shell out another $375 for a new spline but I'm hoping the JB weld was enough to reinforce it. 

Some guys have all the bad luck.  I'm in my third full season with the 180 drive and nary a problem so far except one of the pedals slid off after just two weeks of use back in 2019; but I was still able to use the drive as long as I kept the pedal from sliding off. The drive itself never broke down.  I got to use the reverse in the salt more than I anticipated and love it.

Edited by GeoffT

11 mins ago, GeoffT said:

Some guys have all the bad luck.  I'm in my third full season with the 180 drive and nary a problem so far except one of the pedals slid off after just two weeks of use back in 2019; but I was still able to use the drive as long as I kept the pedal from sliding off. The drive itself never broke down.  I got to use the reverse in the salt more than I anticipated and love it.

Yea i know some who have had zero issues and also guys with more 180 drive problems than me. If reverse was not so awesome i'd go back to my bullet proof gt drive full time

1 hour ago, faithless said:

I have zero problems with the original 180 Drive V1 since 2017. Probably just jinxed my self.

Same here, but 2018. Not really a problem, but I did have to replace the idler cable. That was due to getting my tether stuck in it for awhile without realizing it, so I can't even blame normal wear and tear. I fish once or twice a week, usually a minimum of 4 hours but often more, between about late May and now. It is a weird thing that some people have so many failures and others none at all.

4 mins ago, drmevo said:

Same here, but 2018. Not really a problem, but I did have to replace the idler cable. That was due to getting my tether stuck in it for awhile without realizing it, so I can't even blame normal wear and tear. I fish once or twice a week, usually a minimum of 4 hours but often more, between about late May and now. It is a weird thing that some people have so many failures and others none at all.

Regardless, I am getting out of peddling kayaks going back to paddle only. As soon as OK releases a trident in a color I want my mint revo is going up for sale. The whole platform is just too complex for what I do. I am going back to simple.