Mainiac

Worst striper season evah !

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Should I stop today it will be the worst striper season for me since I began striper fishing some 44 years ago.My catch number as of today is 216. In 2008 I got 257 which was the next worst. I used to average around 2500 ! :(

Going by my numbers the striper population is down 90% from what it should be !:(

Edited by Mainiac

I hear ya Mal, even if I hadn't some issues, still wouldn't of been anything to brag about, probably saved me from some chatty fishing anyway, sad...

I agree, except for the one day where I had my best outing ever (go figure).   Right now, my back is out and I'm not fishing, and to be 100% honest, not particularly missing it.    In other years, I'd be crawling onto the beach.   

It’s been a strange year for me to say the least.  On the one hand, I’ve caught more 40” plus fish than I ever have before.  On the other hand, fish in the upper 20” to upper 30” range have been few and far between for me.  My next best year for big fish was 2009, and in that year my ratio of 30”-40” fish compared to 40”+ was about 6:1.  This year the ratio has been less than 1:1.  I’m happy to be catching some bigger fish, but the future does not look good. 

I expect to be fishing for 3 or 4 more weeks, so we’ll see what the rest of the season brings. 

13 hours ago, Nbourque said:

I agree. My worst year ever. Pretty hard to look forward to next year. 

I feel the opposite about next year.   It has to get better.   

1 hour ago, MartyK said:

I feel the opposite about next year.   It has to get better.   

I guess you’re an optimist and I’m not haha. I cleaned both me and my buddy’s reels the other day and I was like what’s the point of even going next year?

I hate to say this,but this trend started at least 5 or 6 yrs ago and the slide continues,there is no secret formula to all of a sudden get more fish into the population. We have some tough yrs ahead I'm sad   to say.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hopefully the ASMFC can actually get something done this year. Doubtful, but you never know. Giving it another two weeks creeping down south, if the bite is still good I’ll keep it going. Don’t know how many more years we’ll have them so might as well do what we love while we can.

Edited by Oso
Spelling

9 mins ago, Oso said:

Hopefully the ASMFC can actually get something done this year. 

I wonder if they will stick with the slot limit and if it's even been in place long enough to know what affects it has had.

I'm not a fan myself but it's not the reason we are where we are. I just don't think it's helping much.

No comment yet as I'm still fishing, and catching.  General trend is numbers down, BUT size is up, a tradeoff I'm fine with...

18 hours ago, Mainiac said:

Should I stop today it will be the worst striper season for me since I began striper fishing some 44 years ago.My catch number as of today is 216. In 2008 I got 257 which was the next worst. I used to average around 2500 ! :(

Going by my numbers the striper population is down 90% from what it should be !:(

Fishing with you and group used to be awesome, mornings and nights. To me also worst season ever, 30 yrs. All guys down here saying the same, Here and there guys might have a few good days, but not enough for guys putting in lots of time. Most bait has been slow or further offshore, sand eels mean fish in this area.I think the much warmer water has fish in a little deeper water for shore guys. As of yesterday there’s record amounts of people still swimming. Climate change has to be at least a little to blame. Don’t know numbers from south of NH to NJ.   Having split fingers or sandpaper thumbs is different. Tight lines, 0600 will be on the road

3888CF1A-89E5-4B15-AADE-75771E9DF7EC.jpeg

Folks, in all due respect, please tell me you haven't had similar conversations like I had with my wife a few days ago.  It proves we're crazy:

Wife: You're home a little early.   Another bad day?

Me:    Yep, skunked again.   What an awful year.

Wife:  What are you going to do?   

Me:    Go fishing again tomorrow, what do you think I'm doing.