Jcab83

Getting into surf fishing

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Hi I’m just getting into surf fishing and was wondering if anyone had recommendations on any plugs I should be packing my bag with. Thanks in advance. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Welcome!!

We all have our favs. 

Here are mine.  

For plugs mine are...

Metal Lips like Danny or Donny.  Redfins. Needlefish.   Stuff that doesn't require alot of extra rod actions to get them to work.  Simple cast and retrieve. Maybe a twitch here and there.  

Metals!! These are my favorite.  3/4-1oz Kastmaster.  I love silver, silver/blue and silver/green. Buy the cheaper plain trebel hook models. Ditch the hook (they suck)  buy some dressed siwash hooks and put them on. 

Charlie Graves J series in tin. These need nothing.  Pick your size! I like J1- J3. J5 is about as heavy as I go. 

Point Jude Wobble Eel jig.  It's all black and I wish it were shiny.  Anyways, 3/4oz is my fav.  I'll stick something like a Sluggo on it or a long GULP bait. (6in grub. Sandeel etc)  

Jigs!  Either plain with plastic tail or dressed with bucktail.  Dan Tinman here in the Commerical BST makes a great jig.  Great hook and ties the the bucktails really full. Either leave like that or trim to your liking!   

Frankly, a plain jig head with either a paddle tail shad or a curly tail grub will catch fish just about anywhere and are simple cast and reel in lures. 

I keep a pocket sized tackle box in my car.  Has a few different jig weights say 1/2oz to 1 1/2oz, a pouch of GULP 4in swimming mullets, few metals, rod & reel and a leatherman tool for times of unexpected fishing. 

What part of the state are you in? We can direct u to awesome shops.   

Support your local shop!!!  So they'll be there when u need them.  

Edited by PSegnatelli

Wade in slowly, figuratively, and literally. This gets expensive, fast. Always make sure you're having fun. 

Oh and buy anything that includes the word "Beachmaster" - (half joking)

Edited by i_like_poppers

I would grab some bombers to always had luck with those. And the slowest retrieval possible they hit like crazy. From wonder bread,porgy,all black,yellow,pink. 

Edited by BStripen401

Thanks to everyone for your replies, I really do appreciate it. I do very much enjoy it. I’ve been fishing mostly freshwater for the past 30 years. I have also fished salt but the past year I’ve really shown interest in surf fishing so I just wanted to see if there is something I maybe missing in my bag. 

18 hours ago, Jcab83 said:

Hi I’m just getting into surf fishing and was wondering if anyone had recommendations on any plugs I should be packing my bag with. Thanks in advance. 

I would honestly suggest starting out with a few lures and really learning to fish them 

Back when I started I ended up with too many new lures at once I had no clue how to properly fish and I spent at least a month throwing things in situations they wouldn't work and that I had no clue how to properly fish 

Sp minnows 

Bucktails, 

Jighead's with paddle tails  and sluggos 

As well as tins/epoxy jigs 

Are all solid bets and lures that will always produce and are still some of the most  frequently thrown and productive things out of my bag 

Also worth picking up a pencil popper, metal lip and a white spook 

All of the plugs everyone mentioned are great, I’d throw mag darters ( 4 1/8”and 5”), and 7” and 9” sluggos in the mix as well.   Starting out I would stick to the basic colors of white, black, and yellow, when it comes to plugs. For brands of plugs, Gibbs and Super Strike will get you headed in the right direction and won’t break the bank. Try to keep it simple, learning where, why, when, and how to fish a certain spot is most important and will help guide you in your gear choices down the line. Good luck out there and tight lines. 

Those wildeye storm swimshads do well for me in the fall. Even though the hooks are weak, I generally get a good hook set and it doesn’t matter. I feel that the different sizes imitate peanuts and other migrating bait well. 

Ok thanks, yea I did make sure to have those. I did good with the pearl colored ones in the spring. Haven’t tried them in the fall but I will make sure to give em a shot. What size do you recommend? I’ve used 5”&6”

Agreed on the above!

Would certainly have a few swimmers.  As for my favorites, you can't go wrong with the SP Minnow, an old school Redfin, or Bomber (in my opinion, all are crazy productive; fairly cheap; and easy to get your hands on).  You def do not need every color under the sun; my preference is to get one in a light color (eg: bone) and one in a dark color (eg: black).  "Usually" throw the dark plug at night and the light plug during the day, or during a bright night.

Would also grab a popper (you don't need expensive wood; my preference is Super Strike but a cheap $9 Talkin' Popper works insanely well too); some tins (nothing wrong with the basic AVA, or Crippled Herring, in a few sizes); as well as some bucktails (few sizes, based on current you'll be fishing (my preference is Andrus); grab some rubber curly tails to attach). 

For areas with a bit of current, I would pick up a Mag Darter (or similar). 

For spring and fall, when smaller bait is around, I would pick up some cheap rubber swimmers (can't go wrong with the Cocahoe Minnow) and light jig heads (plenty of brands to choose from; some guys on the boards make terrific ones!). 

This (or any of the suggestions from the folks above) will give you a good start - from there, you can branch out.  Hope this helps and enjoy the new hobby! 

Cool that you are getting into the sport and if you are fishing during the daylight hours I suggest a white 7" Doc, 10" white Lunker City Fin S Fish with a 10/0 Owner beast hook and a Yo-zuri hydro pencil in white. Don't go crazy with heavy braid for line in the beginning, go with 20 or 30 braid to get more distance in the cast. Let us know how it's working for you once you start getting out there and remember luck has nothing to do with it.:shaky: