Surreal

Korker grip stud soles enough for jetties ?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I’ve used the traditional korker sandals with success on slippery jetties. Are the standard grip stud soles that come with something like the korker terror ridge enough for some of the jetties in the north east ? Or would it make sense to screw in some extra studs into the swappable soles ?

15 mins ago, Surreal said:

I’ve used the traditional korker sandals with success on slippery jetties. Are the standard grip stud soles that come with something like the korker terror ridge enough for some of the jetties in the north east ? Or would it make sense to screw in some extra studs into the swappable soles ?

Seems like grip studs are preferred. Most of the guys i know with the removable bottoms run into problems from time to time especially if mud is involved. 

I would definitely wear at least the studs, my question is are the standard studded soles that come with the new korkers enough for jetties or would i need to add some studs to be safe. 

25 mins ago, Surreal said:

I went out to korkers site to see what the current stuff looks like. I left off with them years back with the upgraded Omnitrax optional sole which have been replaced with other current upgrade options. I am going on the assumption that korkers still will not pair the boot in the standard package form with soles that are adequate for some of the nasty northeast rocks. That is an assumption but I believe I am accurate saying this. From what I see, I would look at the upgraded triple threat carbide or aluminum soles they offer. They will be your best bet and are worth the money. The rocks are simply no joking matter. I don't feel adding studs to standard sole is a viable option.

The aluminum hex ones suck. I got a brand new set this month for a trout trip. I added blue loc-tite to every screw and tightened them down good. 

This was after three days on a trout stream. 

EA64BEBE-CFDA-44B5-AE83-2CFFC32AF96A.jpeg

29 mins ago, Surreal said:

Are you adding those studs to the soles ? What am I looking at here ?

The sole on the right is the carbide spike vibram omnitrack insert. The one the left is the triple threat insert with alumnium hexbolts installed, the carbide spikes that are loose in the photo are the for the omnitracks system basically there to show you the difference in depth in comparison to the carbide spikes in the vibram sole.

1 min ago, Callmefish said:

The sole on the right is the carbide spike vibram omnitrack insert. The one the left is the triple threat insert with alumnium hexbolts installed, the carbide spikes that are loose in the photo are the for the omnitracks system basically there to show you the difference in depth in comparison to the carbide spikes in the vibram sole.

Thanks for clarifying, which option would you say is best for jetties and slick rock ? I have a set of kold kutters from the past. Trying to figure out if I will need to add them to any of these soles, my only experience has been with the sandal type korkers. 

3 hours ago, Kml said:

The aluminum hex ones suck. I got a brand new set this month for a trout trip. I added blue loc-tite to every screw and tightened them down good. 

This was after three days on a trout stream. 

EA64BEBE-CFDA-44B5-AE83-2CFFC32AF96A.jpeg

That is unacceptable. I wonder what korkers has to say about that. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have the Vibram studded soles.  They work fine in rock weed and slippery rocks.  Still need to be careful and watch your step, but they work for me.  I would think the bigger spikes would work better in thick weed, not so sure about bare slippery rocks though.  I feel that the rubber and studs combined would work together better for bare slippery rocks.  

That said, I have a pair of frogg togg sandal style spikes very similar to the sandal style Korkers but I've only used those for ice fishing. 

Edited by Skunkoff

12 hours ago, Surreal said:

I would definitely wear at least the studs, my question is are the standard studded soles that come with the new korkers enough for jetties or would i need to add some studs to be safe. 

I do fine with the studded soles. Those little carbide studs along with the rubber lugs on the soles handles wet slimy rocks just fine. I've had problems with the felt/carbide stud soles though, they're like rollerskates on dry, flat rocks.

Like KML,  I had the same problem with the studded soles. At an additional $50 I wasn’t happy.

Now I use stainless sheet metal screws on the standard lug sole. Nothing rips out. Get about half the season out of them before the need replacement. These are 5/8” screws.

6E1ABE9A-3C4F-4EE3-91FA-49B492B1B17B.jpeg