ifishthebadspots

Transition after hooking up

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

When I'm fishing a moderate 10' rod, often I lower the tip and hold the butt tucked under my elbow, based on conditions/lure. When a fish hits, I find it awkward moving a bent rod to between my legs so I can pump and bring the fish in. It's progressively harder with a larger fish. What is the best practice here and the most efficient way to do it?

I start my retrieve with the rod end under my arm, and when a fish hits, I drop the rod butt down, and place the butt of the rod against my hip (over the middle of my leg. It's a relatively smooth transition.

It becomes almost a reflex reaction. It feels "almost" like wearing a fighting belt, and you will feel if the rod is moving off of the hip.

I use an 8'6" rod for all surf plugging unless conditions are nearly unfishable.  I run the butt along the underside of my forearm during the retrieve.  If I need to raise the rod; it stays pretty much in the same location.  Like Tim above, I transition smoothly to the hip/upper leg area, which indeed feels like a fighting belt.  The rod goes back along my arm when I surf the fish up.  Save for the one mother nature put there, I hate having a rod between my legs.  Guys I fish with bust my stones, but been fishing this way for 40 yrs....it's non-taxing and very comfortable.           

Posted (edited) · Report post

You are working a lure and the rod butt is un der your elbow, when the fish strikes the first reflex is to jerk back aggressively in order to set the hook, at that moment, if the fish is ON, it will bend the rod further more and if big  it will  start pulling drag, that is when you quickly move the rod but between your legs (and family jewels if you are a male) and start pumping back once it stopped taking line on drag. 

The swift transition is only when you feel the fish is hooked, during which you always keep tension on line with bent rod.

Edited by carangua

39 mins ago, FishermanTim said:

I start my retrieve with the rod end under my arm, and when a fish hits, I drop the rod butt down, and place the butt of the rod against my hip (over the middle of my leg. It's a relatively smooth transition.

It becomes almost a reflex reaction. It feels "almost" like wearing a fighting belt, and you will feel if the rod is moving off of the hip.

3 mins ago, Frede said:

I use an 8'6" rod for all surf plugging unless conditions are nearly unfishable.  I run the butt along the underside of my forearm during the retrieve.  If I need to raise the rod; it stays pretty much in the same location.  Like Tim above, I transition smoothly to the hip/upper leg area, which indeed feels like a fighting belt.  The rod goes back along my arm when I surf the fish up.  Save for the one mother nature put there, I hate having a rod between my legs.  Guys I fish with bust my stones, but been fishing this way for 40 yrs....it's non-taxing and very comfortable.           

I have to try this - it never occurred to me to use the hip, to be honest I imagine it's tricky to balance a 10-footer this way with the butt cap as pivot point. I'll see how it feels.

Rods in between my legs as soon as the plug hits the water. I hate working plugs with the rod under my arm unless its a spook or if I'm trying to "walk the dog".

6 mins ago, carangua said:

You are working a lure and the rod butt is un der your elbow, when the fish strikes the first reflex is to jerk back aggressively in order to set the hook, at that moment, if the fish is ON, it will bend the rod further more and if big will it start pulling drag, that is when you quickly move the rod but between your legs (and family jewels if you are a male) and start pumping back once it stopped taking line on drag. 

The swift transition is only when you feel the fish is hooked, during which you always keep tension on line with bent rod.

Yes, the moment it hits is where I wonder what the best way to maintain pressure is while transitioning. I'm holding the rod sideways, I basically have to straighten the rod under load and lower it between my legs all while holding it with one hand and keeping the reel tight with the other. It's in the air for a moment with no leverage - I still do it, it's just awkward and it shifts around.

2 mins ago, ifishthebadspots said:

I have to try this - it never occurred to me to use the hip, to be honest I imagine it's tricky to balance a 10-footer this way with the butt cap as pivot point. I'll see how it feels.

Depending on the butt length it may not work well or feel comfortable if your arm/hand that holds the reel is too far extended.  I've never owned a 10ft plugging rod so I can't say but it's all about what you're comfortable with.

I always kept the rod (spinning) under my forearm and never transitioned to what in my opinion is a less efficient fighting position. I'd occasionally rest the butt on my thigh during an extended run to momentarily rest my arm while maintaining leverage.

1 hour ago, ifishthebadspots said:

Yes, the moment it hits is where I wonder what the best way to maintain pressure is while transitioning. I'm holding the rod sideways, I basically have to straighten the rod under load and lower it between my legs all while holding it with one hand and keeping the reel tight with the other. It's in the air for a moment with no leverage - I still do it, it's just awkward and it shifts around.

That moment between the strike and the hook set, and then re-positioning the rod, is among the best times of the fight. :th: 

3 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

When I'm fishing a moderate 10' rod, often I lower the tip and hold the butt tucked under my elbow, based on conditions/lure. When a fish hits, I find it awkward moving a bent rod to between my legs so I can pump and bring the fish in. It's progressively harder with a larger fish. What is the best practice here and the most efficient way to do it?

If you hookup with the rod butt under ones arm the easiest way is to grasp the rod butt as far down as you can with you reel hand and push down and out in front of you while pulling back on you rod hand. Then transition it to between the legs. It's a lot like casting. A push pull motion a lot like casting just in reverse. You can hold constant tension on even the largest fish like this during the change. It is most helpful to fish a rod butt length that is best suited to your build. So many sticks and the market have needlessly long butts which just get in the way.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2021 at 11:11 AM, ifishthebadspots said:

You WILL definitely move it around, since you are holding a small solid object against bone and muscle.

You will find a "sweet spot" that will provide control without digging into the hit.

Of course I was always wearing 3mm neoprene waders while doing this....

On 9/27/2021 at 11:16 AM, natejeep said:

Rods in between my legs as soon as the plug hits the water. I hate working plugs with the rod under my arm unless its a spook or if I'm trying to "walk the dog".

This the way! :agree:

My 8' and 9" rods I just hold and reel in, Whiting and Pompano.  On my 10' 11' and 12 heaver, I use a rod belt , I have a bad back and bad knee, the belt takes the strain away. That's for cut or whole bait. For plugs I do the between the legs untill I get a fish on , then the belt . I even wear it casting plugs.

Edited by hunter123

Transition after hooking up

If she's good company....Netflix and popcorn.

If she's great company...........breakfast

If she's unbearable..............................uber

If MISTAKES WERE MADE...........................Refer to Tavern for guidance

Edited by scoobydoo