I didn't know they got this big!

Rate this topic

dieselgrady

Final few days  of drifting for fluke, when I thought I got hung-up. Thumbed the spool to break-off the rig, and felt it break free. Felt like a pair of horshoe crabs (I could feel a little wiggle) and netted this beast of a Northern Stargazer. Had to weigh 12lbs+,  I have caught these before, but the largest had been about 3 lbs. Supposedly, they can give a nice jolt of electricity, so didn't want to take a chance of stopping my pump. and handled it carefully. Edible? I'm not going to find out.

IMG_4938.JPG.jpg

That’s the biggest stargazer I have ever seen. Must be some kind of record. I caught one years ago off LBI while drifting for fluke. I thought It was big and it was only about 5 pounds. It felt exactly the way you describe, like being snagged on the bottom. Not much of a fight once you pull it out from the mud…They do have a zapper on top of their head. It is wise to not handle them.

Record or not. (Most likely at least a state)

Itll be proof of an unoffical record we all can see.  :hi5:. Nice pic.

i use 2/3 rule for trading. join date, posts, or vouch. whoever has less goes first.

(*member formerly known as 'ooeric')

I have a pair of insulated stainless pliers I use to un-hook them - one time I accidentally touched the metal of the pliers with my finger and got zapped, so it seems, at least to me, that they can zap you without touching the star.  If their charge is proportional to their size, this one could possible require post-shock treatment with a defibrillator to restore normal sinus rhythm :eek:.