Nick off the beach

Newbie at chunking looking for help and rods

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Hi all,

so I just got back from a trip to the vineyard fishing the derby.  I was introduced to chunking and weighed in a blue as a result.  I was using a star paraflex that is only rated up to 6oz and need something that can handle more, I couldn’t hold bottom on 2 of 3 nights. My friend was fishing a mojo surf that could handle up to 16oz and a couple of days he upped the weight and was able to hold the bottom. Any advice on what would be a suitable rod? I don’t have deep pockets and have two boys so would really be looking for 3 rods ideally. I’ve been searching Facebook marketplace but haven’t seen anything. I can be patient but any help on what I should be looking for would be appreciated. Pic of the 7.5lb blue I weighed in, lost a bigger one but I had fun.

4A7C0A1C-D61B-4950-84B1-E91910DBD674.jpeg

How many ounces of lead were you using?

Were you using it on an open beach?

Were you chunking where there's a strong current like in an inlet?

Some places, like at an inlet, I don't chunk because there's too much current. I don't normally chunk with anything more than five ounces at the high end.

When there's that much current where four ounces can't hold bottom I switch to lures, which (just my opinion) is more appropriate for fishing with lures. Toss a lure like a Tsunami paddle tail soft bait, a bucktail or a spoon of appropriate weight and let it get swept with the current. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 ounces seems like an awful lot of weight. 

Are you sure your numbers are correct? 

I suggest to go to a local tackle shop and tell them what you are doing and they will give you some recommendations. 

Edited by R.R. Bridge Fisher
Spelling

11 hours ago, Nick off the beach said:

Hi all,

so I just got back from a trip to the vineyard fishing the derby.  I was introduced to chunking and weighed in a blue as a result.  I was using a star paraflex that is only rated up to 6oz and need something that can handle more, I couldn’t hold bottom on 2 of 3 nights. My friend was fishing a mojo surf that could handle up to 16oz and a couple of days he upped the weight and was able to hold the bottom. Any advice on what would be a suitable rod? I don’t have deep pockets and have two boys so would really be looking for 3 rods ideally. I’ve been searching Facebook marketplace but haven’t seen anything. I can be patient but any help on what I should be looking for would be appreciated. Pic of the 7.5lb blue I weighed in, lost a bigger one but I had fun.

4A7C0A1C-D61B-4950-84B1-E91910DBD674.jpeg

is there any mojo that can toss 16 oz.?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Look at different styles of weight too.  Pyramids & storm hold bottom pretty good. 

Also Welcome!  Do some searches here.  ALOT of great info in the past threads. 

As far as rods go, I'm a Looooww budget person.  I've been fairly happy with my Fiblink rods off Amazon. $50-100 range. Plus they have travel rods, I drive a Honda subcompact with a family of 4.  

But, I give my kids and what ever army of 12year olds I can scrounge up, 8ft m/h fiberglass rods of various make. They're usually white & 2piece. Pretty tough.  I got a good deal on Berkley Big Game last year so I bought a bunch.   Around $20-25 each.  I also keep a bunch of Penn 7xxZ reels too.  For the same purpose.  Easy to clean, service & fix.  

They really can't break the reels too much and the rods are easy to replace.  

So when one does (and they will) break something, it's a no fuss event that won't beat up the kid and hopefully keep them fishing!

I also pour my own jigheads for the same reason.  Jighead & inexpensive plastic paddle or curly tail.  Probably around $1 total.   Kid loses it and it's "hey kid, don't sweat it. just part of fishing..."

Flea markets, garage sales and ebay where I get most of my gear.  

But your needs may be different.  

Just my 2$  

Edited by PSegnatelli

6-16oz Rods are known as Hatteras Heavers, and can really only be loaded using either a Uni-Tech (my personal favorite) or aa Hatteras Cast.  Shock Leader is definitely required - 100lb Braid (for 8oz and a Bunker Head) or 80lb Mono. I do not think you will find anything cheaper than a Mojo Surf in this category - not to many companies make fully built rods in this class.

If you want to make your own, Rainshadow REVSU130H-2SB is a 13ft 6-12oz Blank that is the successor to the same-rated All-Star Blank, but it will cost you more than an already built Mojo Surf.

I’ve never tried to chunk at the canal, from the beaches of Mass and Rhode Island , 5 ounces has always worked for me. Often I could use less, but the rods I use like 5. Look up sputnik sinkers. A 3 ounce sputnik will hold like a 56 Buick

10 hours ago, TroutGhost said:

How many ounces of lead were you using?

Were you using it on an open beach?

Were you chunking where there's a strong current like in an inlet?

Some places, like at an inlet, I don't chunk because there's too much current. I don't normally chunk with anything more than five ounces at the high end.

When there's that much current where four ounces can't hold bottom I switch to lures, which (just my opinion) is more appropriate for fishing with lures. Toss a lure like a Tsunami paddle tail soft bait, a bucktail or a spoon of appropriate weight and let it get swept with the current. 

I was using 5oz, off an open beach. I was Fishing off Chappaquiddick and it was really the wind that was an issue.  I briefly tried tossing some lures but the wind was the issue there too. On the last day the wind wasn’t bad and I was able to hold the bottom just fine.

7 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

16 ounces seems like an awful lot of weight. 

Are you sure your numbers are correct? 

I suggest to go to a local tackle shop and tell them what you are doing and they will give you some recommendations. 

Yes, he wasn’t using that but 16oz was what the rod was rated to.

6 hours ago, FlatWing said:

6-16oz Rods are known as Hatteras Heavers, and can really only be loaded using either a Uni-Tech (my personal favorite) or aa Hatteras Cast.  Shock Leader is definitely required - 100lb Braid (for 8oz and a Bunker Head) or 80lb Mono. I do not think you will find anything cheaper than a Mojo Surf in this category - not to many companies make fully built rods in this class.

If you want to make your own, Rainshadow REVSU130H-2SB is a 13ft 6-12oz Blank that is the successor to the same-rated All-Star Blank, but it will cost you more than an already built Mojo Surf.

Thanks for the info. I’m not sure I even want to go that heavy but just want sone input or guidance. I’m not sure I’m at the rod making stage yet and financially doesn’t make sense.

2 hours ago, Stewie said:

I’ve never tried to chunk at the canal, from the beaches of Mass and Rhode Island , 5 ounces has always worked for me. Often I could use less, but the rods I use like 5. Look up sputnik sinkers. A 3 ounce sputnik will hold like a 56 Buick

Thank you for the heads up, that sputnik might make the task a little easier.

6 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

Look at different styles of weight too.  Pyramids & storm hold bottom pretty good. 

Also Welcome!  Do some searches here.  ALOT of great info in the past threads. 

As far as rods go, I'm a Looooww budget person.  I've been fairly happy with my Fiblink rods off Amazon. $50-100 range. Plus they have travel rods, I drive a Honda subcompact with a family of 4.  

But, I give my kids and what ever army of 12year olds I can scrounge up, 8ft m/h fiberglass rods of various make. They're usually white & 2piece. Pretty tough.  I got a good deal on Berkley Big Game last year so I bought a bunch.   Around $20-25 each.  I also keep a bunch of Penn 7xxZ reels too.  For the same purpose.  Easy to clean, service & fix.  

They really can't break the reels too much and the rods are easy to replace.  

So when one does (and they will) break something, it's a no fuss event that won't beat up the kid and hopefully keep them fishing!

I also pour my own jigheads for the same reason.  Jighead & inexpensive plastic paddle or curly tail.  Probably around $1 total.   Kid loses it and it's "hey kid, don't sweat it. just part of fishing..."

Flea markets, garage sales and ebay where I get most of my gear.  

But your needs may be different.  

Just my 2$  

Thank you. I’ve been looking through and yes, definitely a lot of useful information. I was using a pyramid but will look into the storm sinkers too.

If you can find the sputniks with the movable antennae, they will let go if you give them a good tug.

image.jpg

Also find some storm weights 3 ,4, 5 ounces will take care of most current and tide conditions ,     They hold bottom much better than the normal pyramid style weight. You need to add what you use for bait to see if it maximizes the what the rod can handle . Generally no problem with chunks or worms or sand eels . its when you get to toss heads and weights that you may be close to the range posted on the rod...I would look to find a 3 , 4, 5 m Lami glass rod rather then going graphite