Frank2104

What's "custom" about customs?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Looking at FB posts showing the reds that were taken on 3Rs yesterday in the tournament. In comments (and on posts on here) I have read that having a 15' custom heaver is a major key in catching these. I am wondering just what goes into the "custom"-izing of such a rod. What's different than an off the rack model? Is there something about the structure of it??

Me....I spent yesterday from 830 to mid afternoon halfway up to the point. Result.....one mullet and one bite that threw the hook in the wash. 

Better blanks to reach better distance, and the capacity to fight fish without having to use a broomstick…

better components, guides that i use are titanium, lighter and more durable.

and they are not 15’. Most “heavers” are 12-13’

im assuming you dont know about golf and custom clubs

closest factory rods that are custom are Carolina cast pro, off the top of my head

15’ is too long IMO

11.5’ - 13’ for me

....don’t get something too stiff if your an older fella, there’s some good, easier casting heavers for us seniors. 

Used deals can sometimes be found in the BST forum. 

Water conditions and distance play a big part. Sometimes they are in close and you can get em on light tackle.  Most times you need a heavy stick that can reach the bar in heavy seas. 

1 hour ago, Catskill John said:

15’ is too long IMO

11.5’ - 13’ for me

....don’t get something too stiff if your an older fella, there’s some good, easier casting heavers for us seniors. 

Used deals can sometimes be found in the BST forum. 

Definitly in the senior range here. Not a golfer either. Not disparaging the idea of custom gear just curious. I am glad to see comments about length. I have a 12' Offshore Angler Breakwater on order.

8 hours ago, Frank2104 said:

Looking at FB posts showing the reds that were taken on 3Rs yesterday in the tournament. In comments (and on posts on here) I have read that having a 15' custom heaver is a major key in catching these. I am wondering just what goes into the "custom"-izing of such a rod. What's different than an off the rack model? Is there something about the structure of it??

Me....I spent yesterday from 830 to mid afternoon halfway up to the point. Result.....one mullet and one bite that threw the hook in the wash. 

Custom can change the length of handles, reel seat placement, number of guides and layout style.

Can build a rod specifically for a certain reel and maximize casting/handling.

Could get you specs in a 1 or 2 piece that maybe aren't available in one style or the other.

For us old farts, there's a lot to love about a 1502.  Lami, Mudhole, or, Rainshadow.  Might give up a couple yards of distance, but you'll be able to cast it all day and it won't beat ya to death...

1 hour ago, GoBow said:

For us old farts, there's a lot to love about a 1502.  Lami, Mudhole, or, Rainshadow.  Might give up a couple yards of distance, but you'll be able to cast it all day and it won't beat ya to death...

Yup. Yup. And yup.  The rain is great blank for the money (for my style of cast).

Posted (edited) · Report post

I like the HDX Breakaway's. They just seem to have the right feel for me. I think they load better with 9 and bait. I have a custom Rainshadow 1509 which I don't use much.  A bit heavy for casting.

The TICA 12's I have seem to be stressed on Rays and Drum. I save those for those pesky stripers. ( if perhaps they would show up).

My typical set up is 1 HDX, 1 TICA and an 8 ft. Rod. Always keep a small rod for catching fresh bait.

Keep something in mind.. I'm 56. I could throw the heavier sticks when I was younger although now I look for something thinner at the base and a stiff tip. Save the joke's for later please.. lol

The responses you get from others on what rods they choose is usually based on their ability and age.

Figure out what works best for you..

Edited by 7nBait

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, Esoxhunter said:

I don't own any customs.  I'm curious what the custom owners think about Star rods. I have/use 4 all conventional rated at 4 to 12.

I have 3 Star rods , There great for the money. I like them better than some of my St Croix rods.  I like the Stella series.

Edited by hunter123

1 hour ago, Esoxhunter said:

I've always liked them. Anyway I like supporting the local shops. Bought them at Sue Fosters place.RIP

Sue one of the nicest people you could meet.  Sweet lady.