Portland Bill

VR50 Servicing

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Has anyone done, or come across, a servicing guide for the VR50? I've got all the seals and bearings ready to replace on my 2 year old reels but can't find any guides other than the schematic/parts list showing how to take them apart. Anyone done a guide yet? 

Edited by Portland Bill
Typo

I sat in on the SWE guys working on some thinking I could learn to do it myself at home. Then I saw all the presses, punches, jigs n such I don’t have at my shop. I’d leave it to the professionals unless you have all the right gear.

Posted (edited) · Report post

l have done a friends reel for the last 3 years easy reel to do, if in doubt take pictures and make notes as you go along.

lt comes apart like any other VR reels. No special tools needed other than the side cover wrench that was given to you with the reel when bought new.

Edited by LB

Those o rings do look a little vulnerable but I've not had a  problem with one yet. Just got to make sure they stay in their groove when tightening the side plate 

On 9/26/2021 at 11:25 AM, BNickW said:

I sat in on the SWE guys working on some thinking I could learn to do it myself at home. Then I saw all the presses, punches, jigs n such I don’t have at my shop. I’d leave it to the professionals unless you have all the right gear.

A press is a must....very useful....cheapo harbor frieght presses with a chunk of starboard go a long way

On 9/26/2021 at 8:24 PM, gcjeep14 said:

How often should the o rings on the side covers be replaced?   And what would cause them to stretch out?

Lubricants will cause rubber seals to stretch in as little as half  a season.

9 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

How often should the o rings on the side covers be replaced?   And what would cause them to stretch out?

l haven't had an O ring in my VS or VR swelled or stretched out, my reels are wet reels meaning l run 10-30 motor oil in them.

Cleaning fluids and and oils can make a seal and O rings swell or stretch out, l have not had that problem with the oils that l have been using, l will pop the side cover off my reels just to peek inside to see if any water got into them if OK l would just screw the cover back on and l make sure the O ring had some lube on it before tightening it down been doing this over 20 years with my VS reels, my VR reel is only 3 years old and still using the same O rings.

Certain cleaning chemicals will swell the seal. If disassembling DO NOT remove the seal from the side cover, wipe with a clean soft cloth, if it's not nicked and sits evenly in it's groove around the entire circumference just lightly oil before reassembly. It could last a very long time regardless of how many times you open it for inspection.