Sandy Hook Dredge

Rate this topic

Lurp66

The last few years, yes I'd walk the path until I reached the closure signs approaching the false tip (or until the security rental dudes chased me off), then strolled west to the Bug Light and took the other path behind the USCG fence back to Lot M.

Haven't been this fall yet but assume it's like that again. Tempted to make the trek with the good numbers of fish & bait in the bay. Who knows, might make the 2 hour drive today ;-)

JB ;-)

I'm not suggesting this is a smart move but the barge was not there last week but the sings were still up and security only stated they thought dredging would be done in another week.  So a few fellas went out to FH last week on the couple of days I was out there. 

I did not go out there, didn't want to participate in pushing that envelope. 

"I was a waste of time dumbasses"  Sevenxseventy1

24 mins ago, jerseystriper said:

Thanks- I always need to take 1 trip to the top every year- fish or no fish 

Me too. Good bay reports, along with 20 year old memories of bass busting peanuts all along Officers Row and up to the Bug Light, and the ever present chance of fish in the rip, always push me to make the walk a few times each fall/winter.

Warming up the truck now. Got the itch ;-)

JB ;-)

22 mins ago, fishless said:

I'm not suggesting this is a smart move but the barge was not there last week but the sings were still up and security only stated they thought dredging would be done in another week.  So a few fellas went out to FH last week on the couple of days I was out there. 

I did not go out there, didn't want to participate in pushing that envelope. 

Hmmmm ...

Well guess we'll have to take a looksy in a few hours ...

( A few years back there was a huge escarpment all around the FH and we sorta snuck along the waters edge passed the signs out towards the tip. The sandeel bite was on and heaving big Ava's into the wind was producing. Hooked a biggun, broke off, turned around to the security lady flailing and yelling .... ugh. )

JB ;-)

2 mins ago, Jeff B said:

Hmmmm ...

Well guess we'll have to take a looksy in a few hours ...

( A few years back there was a huge escarpment all around the FH and we sorta snuck along the waters edge passed the signs out towards the tip. The sandeel bite was on and heaving big Ava's into the wind was producing. Hooked a biggun, broke off, turned around to the security lady flailing and yelling .... ugh. )

Also we had new moon tides, or were just coming off it, so the tides were still up and that allowed for a little skirting of the rules. 

"I was a waste of time dumbasses"  Sevenxseventy1

So the kid in the security car at lot M, said he thought it was supposed to finish up this week but that they extended the job another week. He does not think it’ll last till January by any stretch. That being said there is no security truck out on the sand, the rope with signs on it is half collapsed and easy to miss.  The park ranger truck came down the Fishermans path to the end and turned around and went back, and never approached the tip. Don’t think they are tasked with trying to enforce that. I believe that’s on the security people. So it’s pretty lax. There was already two guys at the FH fishing the rip. Enjoy ! 

JB ;-)

I was out there on Wednesday afternoon into early evening, only saw one other guy fishing.  The dredge and barge were there along with a tug but nothing was operating.  The rope and signs in the area were 1/2 up and half down.  Saw birds working about 200 yards off the beach but couldn't see any fish under them, a couple boats tried along the birds but I didn't see anyone hook up and they didn't stick around long.  I managed a couple of dinks just after dark. 

Took today off- wind was supposed to be south west- high tide at the dawn so figured a good spot for the 2 handed rod fly rod- Always enjoy the lights of the city as the sun rises to my right- found the barge and found guys fishing toward the barge, surprised they were not banging off the side of the boat- dredged was doing its thing- fence was half up- fished for awhile without success- went to another SH beach and had 3 different guys tell me I should have been here an hour ago- got to figure 3 could not be lying- fished two hander  for a while and then spent rest of day hitting various beaches down the coast line- No luck- Went home for lunch and a change out of wet shirt and wondered back to beach in late afternoon- hard blowing south east wind made fly fishing near impossible so called it a day. Nice day, beat working, but a big skunk for the effort- 

Hoofed it out there on Monday for a looksee at the beginning of the drop, so they moved the dredge and it’s almost literally on the beach. You could underhand lob a jig and hit the barge. They were going to town with that huge scoop, so everything down current was a mess as expected. Hopefully wrapping up soon, after they complete this excavation tight to shore - who knows 

JB ;-)