Lurp66

Sandy Hook Dredge

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, RU fishin' said:

Dredge is now at the Rip, as of this morning.

Glad I made my annual walk of death to the Rip last week lol. 

Hope they at least let us fish North Beach some, though. 

Give me a break... This is why this state is so broken.

Spend 50 mm to pump sand down in deal up the coast thru sea bright, only to dredge it and move the sand somewhere else.. 

This is an absolute comedy show

On 9/26/2021 at 7:34 AM, Lurp66 said:

Talking to the Ranger at the main gate yesterday and she said the dredge will be back Oct maybe into Nov.

Why do they schedule this for the fall run? Is this going to be every year now? What is NJ's obsession with dredging?

When it comes to dredging, and even replishment for that matter.....they don't care about fishing. I'm pretty sure it doesn't factor in the equation one bit.

Hey guys, if it makes any difference to anyone one night last year they pulled the dredge inshore due to weather and I went out there and caught multiple bass. No trophies but nice bass. Just a positive spin on a **** situation. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Maybe relevant:
https://www.nan.usace.army.mil/Portals/37/docs/regulatory/publicnotices/Operation and Maintenance/2021/SHC21 PN May 2021.pdf

"This maintenance activity is being evaluated to determine that the proposed maintenance dredging and placement of dredged material will not unreasonably degrade or endanger human health, welfare, economic potential, recreation and aesthetics, water quality, marine resources, ecological systems, and/or flood protection. The Corps of Engineers is soliciting comments from the public; federal, state and local agencies and officials; Indian tribes; and other interested parties in order to consider and evaluate the impacts of this proposed activity. Comments are used to assess impacts on navigation, water quality, endangered species, historic resources, wetlands, scenic and recreational values, and other public interest factors. Comments are used in the preparation of an Environmental Assessment pursuant to the National Environmental Policy Act and to determine the need for a public hearing.

Any person who has an interest, which may be affected by the placement of this dredged material, may request a public hearing. The request must be submitted in writing to the District Engineer within the comment period of this notice and must clearly set forth the interest that may be affected and the manner in which the interest may be affected by the activity. It should be noted that information submitted by mail or email is considered just as carefully in the process and bears the same weight as that furnished at a public hearing."

Edited by JerseyJeb

so they are just moving the sand form the tip to the SBOBA PLACEMENT AREA? Is this why sea bright beaches are 1 foot deep now for the last couple of years?

On an update: The pre-recorded voice message at the GNRA/Sandy Hook Unit phone number stated "The area known as the 'False Tip' closed due to dredging from October 1 thru JANUARY 1st ...

So  much for finishing up "sometime in mid-November"  I guess :banghd:

4 mins ago, jerseystriper said:

Can one walk up to the tip? I get if the false hook is closed but wondering if to the west, heading toward bug light is it  open?

Yes west of the false hook is open.