Lurp66

Sandy Hook Dredge

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

33 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

So they're dredging the sand we paid them to place on the beaches after it washed back near shore and as the Littoral Current sends it north....then they remove it and re-sell it again lining their pockets....what a buch of suckers we are.....$$$$$$$$.

It’s not that simple.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/brooklyn.news12.com/amp/us-army-corp-of-engineers-removes-sand-from-sandy-hook-channel

9 hours ago, oneeyewilly said:

The very last thing that gets factored in is “ The Fall Run “, if it gets thought of at all , which is highly doubtful . Marine construction , like all heavy construction can be somewhat seasonal , optimal times ( good weather ) increase productivity , which translates into profitability  Dredging , on the other hand , can be accomplished regardless of the weather ( to a point) , again , better weather , more production, more profit. Either way , the powers that be don’t give a rats ass about the fall run or any other . Lurp 66, Local 1556? 

Yes. 1556 Dockbuilders 

4 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

Did the ranger tell you around when in October they are going to start ? 

Yes. Later half maybe into November. You couldn't pick a worse time!

Posted (edited) · Report post

41 mins ago, Lurp66 said:

It's beyond that simple. There's about a 6 week window for the rip. There is no difference in weather if they waited till Dec 1 to start.

Then they will need to deal with Christmas and new year  and perhaps they want to avoid the holidays..and perhaps for tax purposes they want to complete the work in the current tax year. Anyway, if they finish to job before the end of October you will be in a good shape since fishing in October is not as good as it used to be a decade ago.

Edited by levari

39 mins ago, levari said:

Then they will need to deal with Christmas and new year  and perhaps they want to avoid the holidays..and perhaps for tax purposes they want to complete the work in the current tax year. Anyway, if they finish to job before the end of October you will be in a good shape since fishing in October is not as good as it used to be a decade ago.

Dredgemen work 24 hrs a day 365 days a year. The business does not care about holidays. You clearly have no idea how offshore marine ops work. At this point I'm also inclined to believe that you are just arguing for arguments sake, just playing devils advocate. I'm done responding to you. Good luck in whatever it is you do. I know for certain it's not marine construction. 

22 mins ago, Lurp66 said:

Dredgemen work 24 hrs a day 365 days a year. The business does not care about holidays. You clearly have no idea how offshore marine ops work. At this point I'm also inclined to believe that you are just arguing for arguments sake, just playing devils advocate. I'm done responding to you. Good luck in whatever it is you do. I know for certain it's not marine construction. 

Ignore him. That’s normal

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Lurp66 said:

If you are such an expert can you explain why those ACOE Dredgemen stopped working during the holidays?

https://www.dredgingtoday.com/2020/12/21/channel-islands-harbor-dredging-work-to-stop-for-holidays/

https://www.usace.army.mil/Media/News-Releases/News-Release-Article-View/Article/2453252/channel-islands-harbor-dredging-to-break-for-holidays-resume-jan-4/

I am not an expert like you and I don’t know the reasoning why they decided to dredge in October year after year but I know for sure the fall run was the last on their list of their considerations.

Edited by levari

12 mins ago, Goldy said:

Ignore him. That’s normal

Did you catch a single bass this year that the timing of dredging makes any difference to you?

9 mins ago, RU fishin' said:

Dredge is now at the Rip, as of this morning.

Crap ... Did they close off North Beach and the RIP Area