The Gimp

Timing your retrieve

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Make the cast, plug hits the water.

Bucktail: Wait for it to hit the bottom?

Swimmer: Start right away?

Metal?

Am reading a Skinner book and he offhanded said BT hits the water starts retrieve, got me thinking.

1 hour ago, The Gimp said:

Metal?

Am reading a Skinner book and he offhanded said BT hits the water starts retrieve, got me thinking.

Series of casts 1st one crank as soon as hits water

If nothing pretty much work the water column on other casts

Bounce bottom, mid ect

Sometimes it makes no difference as the bite is on, other times what you do makes doesn’t draw a strike or attention. I had 3 favorites, topwater, metal and plastic . I’ll rotate and play with speed, drop depending on lure.ever heard the saying? I just cast where no was doing fish, and slam your in combat. Nothing more important than putting your time in and watching others, For years I was horrible fishing plastic, might as well had nothing on. So many variables:rav:

1 min ago, RAW said:

So many variables:rav:

This is about the best way to put it.  I could fill the page on the things I do and/or changes I make on any given day.....many are subtle and that's the exciting part for me.   

1 hour ago, The Gimp said:

Metal?

I'd put the book down and make a few casts instead. In my opinion there are no "facts" that cover the unending combination of conditions and circumstances every caster will encounter and need to decipher for themselves.

So, the answer is, there is no answer. Don't think too deep, for the most part keep yourself in touch with your lure (feel it), use the water  movement and wind to swim your lure in the direction baitfish might be part of, look for white water, points, cuts in bars, bait hides and prey attack. 

I will say its more important in most cases to stay slower than your brain is telling you to go. For me, I have to intentionally slow down or I'll find myself retrieving too quickly, thus the nice part about slower retrieve reels, they keep you slower. Compare it to driving, without cruise control set at 74, I'm at 85 and climbing, not intentional, just feels ok, but I really don't want to go over 80, 74 without cruise control requires  too much concentration.

Just fish, swimmers and poppers on top, jigs and bucktails down below, of course we don't decide what works, thats up to a fish with a brain the size of a pea. Sometimes they make you feel stupid. 

5 hours ago, The Gimp said:

Metal?

Email him and ask.  He tends to be open to discourse.

I was in Alaska for an epic salmon trip.  In Alaska it's called "catching",not fishing. Sorry it's not the same on most places in the NE now.  To be successful you now have to be a hunter stalking your pray. It takes lots of skill and patience to win the prize. I wouldn't have said   this 15yrs ago,but it's a different situation now.

Try and find a school of minnows/small baitfish, watch them swim, left-right-slow-fast-stop-dive-jump-or all at once. Try and make your offering swim like those little guys not like a lump of plastic being mechanically dragged along by a motor.