mark d

common erroneous comments i see here

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

many will disagree, but hey it's my list

1. "i like such and such reel because it has more drag"

what in the name of god are you gonna do with 35 lbs drag ? try lifting a gallon of water (8.3 lbs) with your surf setup 

2. "i like such and such reel because it is lighter"

if a couple ounces actually made a difference to somebody they would not be strong enough for outdoor activities in the first place

3. "i need a waterproof reel because i am surfcasting" 

waterproof reels were not invented until the 90's. people been surfcasting since the stone age

4. "i don't know why my reel feels rough. i rinse it after every trip, only been fishing it 2 years"

i rinse my gear also but the only way that would affect the internals is if you have a hole in the reel. pop the sideplate

5.  "fluorocarbon has greater abrasion resistance"

i was guilty of following the herd on this one myself. a guy posted a video on youtube proving mono has greater abrasion resistance. i copied his test at home and had the same results.

I could tell you how much is drag my reels have or how much they weigh. 

Dang, I must be missing out. Maybe I’ll find a YouTube video to help me figure out what I don’t need to know so I can worry about more things that don’t matter. 

3 hours ago, mark d said:

2. "i like such and such reel because it is lighter"

if a couple ounces actually made a difference to somebody they would not be strong enough for outdoor activities in the first place

I always get a kick out of people making fun of people who want a lighter reel, saying stupid crap like, ‘you need to work out more” It’s all about balancing with the rod. Yeah, sure we can all lift 24oz, but ain’t putting a 706 on a 7’ rod, and I’ll take a fly weight Stradic over a Slammer for a thousand casts any day.

Also, drag is important, not all of us are draging a cute stripper on a sandy beach. Try setting a hook and pulling an unknown from the rocks when bottom fishing with a 12# drag. 

I’ll say this about the reels.  Back in the stone age people were using 704s  and those reels were and still are great in the surf.  Basically because the coffee grinder would just grind through the sand and still work.  And  you could pull one apart and make repairs or service it in 15 min tops.  Try  any of those scenarios with a BG MQ or a Shimano Ultegra and see what happens.  So IMO intermediate surf reels that get dunked often are problems just around the corner 

3 hours ago, mark d said:

1. what in the name of god are you gonna do with 35 lbs drag ? 

2. if a couple ounces actually made a difference to somebody they would not be strong enough for outdoor activities in the first place

3. waterproof reels were not invented until the 90's. people been surfcasting since the stone age

1.  You have obviously never jigged the PP canal during a full flow Full Moon Tide with 4oz jigs. When you get stuck on the bottom and are either trying to pull loose of worst case break you 40 or 50lb leader, 12lb drag will not cut it.  Not to mention the ability of a Linesider to use the current to it's advantage - longest fight I ever had (successfully) was 42 minutes on my wristwatch, and that was not a 50lb'er.

2. I have total, inoperable cervical herniation, coupled with peripheral sensory/motor polyneuropathy and stenosis.  Sorry, but my Cracks and Luxors (packed with grease) spend most of the season hanging from the ceiling and my old, oil and grease filled VS's are now happily owned by others, replacesd with VR;s Shimano CI4+ and Daiwa Magnesium and Aluminum bodied LC reels.  Now my right hand does not go numb after 15 minutes of plugging. And yes, I work out religiously to maintain muscular strength and flexibility, and I will not quit fishing, so move over and make room.

3. I do not like having a reel seize on me when I inadvertently get hit by a wave at 3am while I am unhooking a bass in the surf.  Yes, if I stood up and held the bass by the lower lip, so that it's internals "drown", I would not need a reel that could continue to function after getting splashed - so you point was valid in the age of "catch and kill" fishing, when you just dragged the doomed Bass up onto dry sand, but it is not apropos in the age of "catch and release" with minimal risk to the fish, i.e., keep it in the water or at least on wet sand while removing your crushed barb hooks.

I wouldn't quite call those questions/comments erroneous.  More like concerns. 

Balance beats weight for rod and reel, and the lighter the whole set up is, the longer one can fish.  Off balance is worse however.

I use braid on everything except my ULs.  For that I use fluoro.  Less visible and less stretch.  My lighter leaders are fluoro as well.  Heavier leaders are mono because I find it easier to tie the knots (I don't tie line to line).

More drag is good security, but it's not the first thing I look for.  As far as completely waterproof/sandproof reels, I'm not in high-dunk situations enough to justify paying $500+ for reel (maybe someday).

3 hours ago, PSegnatelli said:

No.2.    "Ounces add up to pounds.  Pounds lead to pain..'

Or something like that. 

As someone with chronic fatigue and other medical issues. A few ounces here and there really do add up. I may not notice it at first, but a few hours in I do. 

As far as not being in fighting shape. Your right, I'm not nor will I ever be again. But should I just stay home and die?  Or do I utilize the technology that let's me get out there for a few more seasons??

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am closer to this now , I agree completely.

Drag is good ! But some times to much drag can be bad pulled hooks , bent hooks . Depends on the type of fishing your doing i guess. i fish a vs 150 most of the time i know there drag is not the best but it has been more than enuff .

Personaly , I find any question or comment is not stupid.There asking it to gain knowledge about something. I'm 71 going on 72 soon, I like light. I loved the old glass rods, but now I like light. I use Penn reels so I know I'm not getting a light reel. I have been surf fishing since I was 10 years old, I still learn things from forum members here. So, I see nothing wrong with the questions asked or statements given. 

Sometimes in print and sometimes with a photo. My favorite is "upside down" hooks and snaps, spread split rings, twisted thru-wires and never-sharpened hooks. Seen plenty posted by fisherman, plug-makers and authors.

Big fish require lots of drag on a rod that can take the shock. Examples could be a 180 lb class tarpon , you must have 20 lbs of drag to stop a fish that does what they do. Or a 800 lb class tuna requires 35 lbs of drag to get him quickly and humanely to the boat, take too long and sharks will leave nothing or the fish simply fights to the death in both examples. A 1-2 lb brook trout is a fine example of light drag fight but still enough to keep him out of the roots or log jams. In all these examples the correct rod is as much a part of this equation as is drag and line class. Quick and efficient fights leave healthier fish for better recovery   Factoid # 419