zak-striper

canal tide timing reversing, what's going on with these times?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was checking tides on the canal for Sun, 9/26, when I noticed something odd on 4 different tide websites I looked at. The timing of the tides seems to be going in reverse in the west end.

Does anyone know why this is happening or did 4 different sources all have the same typo?

Wed, 9/22, morning low tide was at 5:37. Thu, 9/23, low tide was at 6:12. Tides are advancing by almost an hour on consecutive days as to be expected. On Fri, I would expect low tide to be approximately 7:00 a.m.

But on Fri, 9/24, low tide is now at 4:44. WTF? How does the time of morning low tide suddenly back up approximately 2 hours? And then on Sat, 9/25, the tide time is almost an hour later, and it continues as normal the next few days. 

Is this correct? Is this a typo? How does the timing of morning low suddenly back up almost 2 hours? 

tides.jpg.deb9f8fab8d32b6c3e6babcab83f101c.jpg

Edited by zak-striper

Zac,

I came across the same type of what I thought was mistake on the chart a couple of years ago.

What I saw was that all the water was coming through at either the start of the tide or the end.

See if you can find a graph of time v water height for the canal. Instead of a fairly even curve on the graph there would be a high way before normal then a long flat taking us to turn.

8 hours ago, zak-striper said:

I was checking tides on the canal for Sun, 9/26, when I noticed something odd on 4 different tide websites I looked at. The timing of the tides seems to be going in reverse in the west end.

Does anyone know why this is happening or did 4 different sources all have the same typo?

Wed, 9/22, morning low tide was at 5:37. Thu, 9/23, low tide was at 6:12. Tides are advancing by almost an hour on consecutive days as to be expected. On Fri, I would expect low tide to be approximately 7:00 a.m.

But on Fri, 9/24, low tide is now at 4:44. WTF? How does the time of morning low tide suddenly back up approximately 2 hours? And then on Sat, 9/25, the tide time is almost an hour later, and it continues as normal the next few days. 

Is this correct? Is this a typo? How does the timing of morning low suddenly back up almost 2 hours? 

tides.jpg.deb9f8fab8d32b6c3e6babcab83f101c.jpg

Prolly a typo. Never depend on man. Use the moon instead. It's never wrong and always right. It's precision always amazes me. Learn to use moon!  :)

The tide and change in current direction don’t coincide. If I’m reading a tide chart I subtract 1.5hrs and that is about when the current will be switching from one direction to the other. 

There appears to be other apparent inconsistencies as well….….9/11 vs 9/12……10/10 vs 10/11……10/21 vs 10/22.

All in RR Bridge AM low.

4 hours ago, saxon59 said:

Zac,

I came across the same type of what I thought was mistake on the chart a couple of years ago.

What I saw was that all the water was coming through at either the start of the tide or the end.

See if you can find a graph of time v water height for the canal. Instead of a fairly even curve on the graph there would be a high way before normal then a long flat taking us to turn.

Yup- that’s exactly what’s going on.  It’s actually just a very long period of low water with a predicted bottom of the tide that varies slightly.

936C71B7-2A5D-4FF4-9770-BD3D8CB88734.png

85367EFD-0F0A-480A-AC7F-C5D45CB46DD9.png