Haycreekrambler

Vr power knob

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

So, I've got a couple questions.

Hopefully I'll get some useful feedback.

I finally got to fish the 151 and honestly I like it. With one complaint. The plastic knob. First off I've owned vs's for a long time. I was never a fan of round knobs. Maybe its because I was raised with a penn in my hand. I'm not gonna get into how much more sense it makes to hold a reel handle with your finger tips. Or why RK decided to stop making the torpedo handles that SC demanded and decided that surfcaster's should use reels with round knobs. 

I've tolerated power knobs on my vs's. Never liking them and always hoping someone would make torpedo handles available at somepoint. So, when I got the vr I figured I would have to tolerate a power knob on it too. Well I got the power knob in the mail yesterday. This thing is the size of a small orange. Its completely ridiculous.

My questions are does anyone know if the shaft diameter is the same on the vr 50 power knob? My guess is no but, can anyone confirm that the 50 power knob would fit on the 150?

More importantly is anyone making torpedo handles for the vs/vr reels?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Haycreekrambler said:

So, I've got a couple questions.

Hopefully I'll get some useful feedback.

I finally got to fish the 151 and honestly I like it. With one complaint. The plastic knob. First off I've owned vs's for a long time. I was never a fan of round knobs. Maybe its because I was raised with a penn in my hand. I'm not gonna get into how much more sense it makes to hold a reel handle with your finger tips. Or why RK decided to stop making the torpedo handles that SC demanded and decided that surfcaster's should use reels with round knobs. 

I've tolerated power knobs on my vs's. Never liking them and always hoping someone would make torpedo handles available at somepoint. So, when I got the vr I figured I would have to tolerate a power knob on it too. Well I got the power knob in the mail yesterday. This thing is the size of a small orange. Its completely ridiculous.

My questions are does anyone know if the shaft diameter is the same on the vr 50 power knob? My guess is no but, can anyone confirm that the 50 power knob would fit on the 150?

More importantly is anyone making torpedo handles for the vs/vr reels?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

 

I can't answer your question, but I concur. 

It seems like tackle designers 'powers to be' have got an issue: they are making the knobs where you use your finger tips larger, and making the rod butt and fore grips smaller and smaller where you use your full hand.  Backwards yeah, and it is an issue.

Edited by chisler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I felt the same way when I had the knob put on my G2 VR175. I have medium sized hands and I didn’t really quite realize how big knob was initially. 
 

But I don’t even notice it at all. It’s an awesome knob. Fits my fingers totally great. Really glad I got the power knob. When I clamp down on it and fight fish, it feels totally great. 
 

I would definitely put it on my next VR reel again unless weight was a significant consideration with a shorter and lighter rod. I’m not sure how much more weighs than the stock knob but an ounce and half or more I would think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My solution to the VR knob issue. I don't like the stock delrin ball.

I also do not like the size of the VR power knob but I find it works fine for bait fishing when I go with the bail.

For surf casting I go bail less and find the ZeeBaas oval knob to be perfect.

 

 

 

 

20210308_164305.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, recoil said:

My solution to the VR knob issue. I don't like the stock delrin ball.

I also do not like the size of the VR power knob but I find it works fine for bait fishing when I go with the bail.

For surf casting I go bail less and find the ZeeBaas oval knob to be perfect.

 

 

 

 

20210308_164305.jpg

Did you have to enlarge the hole on the handle arm or is it a direct fit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Power Handles are one of my pet peeves. My opinion is power handles are just another example of a "bad idea" catching on. I've never seen a single example of someone touting the benefits of a power knob vs a torpedo, what are the benefits? I am always willing to learn...I can think of so many disadvantages but only one advantage.

 

Garcia and Penn (and likely others) had a doorknob (pancake) knob before VS but the "power handle" took a bad concept and made it worse. Any handle that puts the knob (any knob) more outbound of the main gear drive teeth will increase wobble. This is not opinion, this is fact. Increased wobble during retrieve decreases sensitivity, another fact. So why do so many take an advantage that can only be an  advantage once a fish is hooked but reduces the chances of ever hooking the fish in the first place?

 

When you add a bail into the equation the concept makes even less sense to me. Because of the bail protruding from the rotating head the handle is designed (modified) to allow necessary clearance between both components. The amount of wobble has been increased yet again.

 

I would prefer the power handle if I was trolling for Marlin but that's about it..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, Haycreekrambler said:

Did you have to enlarge the hole on the handle arm or is it a direct fit?

No altering of the handle or knob.

You only need to add a #10 stainless flat washer between the handle and knob.

You may need to slightly file open the ID of the washer a hair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SC said:

Power Handles are one of my pet peeves. My opinion is power handles are just another example of a "bad idea" catching on. I've never seen a single example of someone touting the benefits of a power knob vs a torpedo, what are the benefits? I am always willing to learn...I can think of so many disadvantages but only one advantage.

 

Garcia and Penn (and likely others) had a doorknob (pancake) knob before VS but the "power handle" took a bad concept and made it worse. Any handle that puts the knob (any knob) more outbound of the main gear drive teeth will increase wobble. This is not opinion, this is fact. Increased wobble during retrieve decreases sensitivity, another fact. So why do so many take an advantage that can only be an  advantage once a fish is hooked but reduces the chances of ever hooking the fish in the first place?

 

When you add a bail into the equation the concept makes even less sense to me. Because of the bail protruding from the rotating head the handle is designed (modified) to allow necessary clearance between both components. The amount of wobble has been increased yet again.

 

I would prefer the power handle if I was trolling for Marlin but that's about it..

I can't agree with you more Steve.

I find it crazy that we seem to be the minority in our dislike for round knobs to our reels. Every major manufacturer offers them now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, recoil said:

My solution to the VR knob issue. I don't like the stock delrin ball.

I also do not like the size of the VR power knob but I find it works fine for bait fishing when I go with the bail.

For surf casting I go bail less and find the ZeeBaas oval knob to be perfect.

 

 

 

 

20210308_164305.jpg

How much smaller is the zeebaas oval knob then the vr power?

That may work but, I don't wanna drop more $ on handles i won't use. 

I have a bailed vs knob on my 250L that seems similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 mins ago, Haycreekrambler said:

How much smaller is the zeebaas oval knob then the vr power?

That may work but, I don't wanna drop more $ on handles i won't use. 

I have a bailed vs knob on my 250L that seems similar.

The ZB oval knob is considerably smaller then the VR power knob.

If the round VR power knob is too big for your liking then the bailed square VS knob may be a good option.

I think the VS bailed knob is similar in size to my ZB oval knob.

I don't know how fitting the VS knob to the VR handle would work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 mins ago, recoil said:

The ZB oval knob is considerably smaller then the VR power knob.

If the round VR power knob is too big for your liking then the bailed square VS knob may be a good option.

I think the VS bailed knob is similar in size to my ZB oval knob.

I don't know how fitting the VS knob to the VR handle would work.

Thanks, the vs stuff has a considerably smaller bolt od that the vr's.

20210926_190022.jpg.9cc8ac8ef54ce25ec94e31b7962ae563.jpg

I know there's a member that was making titanium torpedo handles.

I'm gonna look into a way to modify penn ss handles, I've got a bunch laying around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.