buddha162

Lithium Battery (Nocqua) Maintenance - Thoughts?

11 posts in this topic

My 2 10ah Nocquas are not lasting a full day with the Helix 7 Mega SI - contacted Nocqua and they linked me the following video. 

Guy is saying the opposite of what I've read about lithiums, basically that you should discharge them completely so they don't develop "memory." I thought lithium bats don't do that?

Well that may be true,but I have a lithium ion battery for my motor cycle that got drained by misatake. Switch left on by my son and now won't fully charge. That's the opposite as was said.  I use a special lithium charger,so that's not an issue

Roger, I also have 2 with a helix 7 mega SI. I only run off one at a time and bring the second as a backup. Never end up switching to it. 

I have the same thinking as you. Lithium likes to be at 100% and avoid going less than 50%. This is maybe year 4 with these batteries.

Everything he said in that video reminds me of the old nickle cadmium batteries that we grew up with.

There are many different chemistries of Lithium. In general they can go down to around 20-30% versus LA 50%. Completely dead and they are often drt and won’t recover. The NOCQUA has a bms which will shut it off at a predetermined point, theoretically stopping DRT syndrome.  Lifepo4 don’t like to sit at 100%, but I don’t know about the chemistry used in these.  Didn’t someone open a battery up, the cells would tell us.

they only rate it at 3-500 charges, so say 200… ;)

I thought battery technology has become much better than this. All this hype around EVs lately had me believing new batteries were more reliable than the old ones. I guess we still have a lot to learn about them. Just goes to show how unreliable battery power can be.   I’m sure the technology gets much better soon. 

i have one 10ah nocqua I use for my garmin 73sv, I keep it charged all the time, it has also gone 100% dead a few times. I also use it for ice season so it gets exposed to cold temps.

It discharges a little bit faster but its still gets me through a full day of fishing even after 4 yrs of steady year round use.

13 hours ago, EricM said:

Roger, I also have 2 with a helix 7 mega SI. I only run off one at a time and bring the second as a backup. Never end up switching to it. 

I have the same thinking as you. Lithium likes to be at 100% and avoid going less than 50%. This is maybe year 4 with these batteries.

Everything he said in that video reminds me of the old nickle cadmium batteries that we grew up with.

Yeah I'm not sure what to make of that video, I was referred to it by Nocqua and the guy's saying don't just run it til dry on sonar charge your phone a few times and get it to 0% :eek:

I noticed that once I popped in my navionics chip the battery drain went up significantly. My days are typically 12+ hours so I'm always on the second battery - the Hook 7 Reveal doesn't draw nearly as much power as the Helix 7, probably bc of its very weak tripleshot transducer. I'm so used to Lowrance 2D but the good 3 in 1 ducer is massive and the split/tripleshot is a POS. I'm really digging the bird's side imaging, crystal clear with very little tweaking. The 2D is almost comparable to a good Lowrance signal now but not quite there yet. Nothing is perfect lol.  

Nocqua gave me a discount on 2 more 10ah batteries so now I have 4...that should be enough!

11 hours ago, The Riddler said:

That video contradict what the website says? 
Looks like it did.

Yeah it's a head scratcher. But the guy in the video managed batteries for the Seals? lol