trwhite

Vs250b

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

My 8 year old vs250b is acting up. I’ve fished it very hard, many big fish on it, wetsuiting, deep wading, sand. I’ve never sent it in for maintenance or even rinsed it. I just started noticing that the line slips here and there. If I stand there with the plug dangling with the line on the roller, sometimes the plug will slowly drop to the ground. If I move the reel handle back towards me until it stops, it doesn’t drop anymore. I just landed a huge blue on it yesterday and it seemed totally fine. Should I send it in or is it something with the line? I’ve had my freshwater reels do this when I leave them out in the rain.

I would think the drag is worn, the spool isn’t seated on the cross pin or the spool cap is not locking down. That’s just my thought. 

2 mins ago, Mark L said:

I would think the drag is worn, the spool isn’t seated on the cross pin or the spool cap is not locking down. That’s just my thought. 

Should I unscrew the spool and see if I can seat it better and see if it gets better? It was happening then I caught a 12lb blue in current and the drag seemed perfectly fine. The retrieve seems normal too.

59 mins ago, trwhite said:

Under the spool looks like I have a problem :laugh:

F7E80203-BCF4-46A6-8CA8-C1FC523ABF2E.jpeg

Umm what is the black thing where the shaft goes? 

9 mins ago, trwhite said:

Corrosion? Which part are you talking about?

Oh forget it, it’s the angle of the pic. Looked liked something was in the spool hole. 

If you lock the drag down can you easily pull out line? The cross pin looks like it was in place.  By the look of the rust on the drag gear I’m gonna say that the washers maybe be worn. Just something for you to try and look at. Good luck 

Nope, i had a bluefish rip out line against heavy drag, it got tired and i reeled it in. Had a few fish after that no problem. Drag seems intact, and thats why i am confused. The reel seems completely fine except for the occasional slippage with is just a minor inconvenience. Im sure there could be a bigger underlying problem given my track record lack of maintenance.

If you can reel backwards occasionally, its probably the anti reverse bearing. Which you need to send it in for servicing.(unless you can do it yourself, which takes a number of special tools.)

3 mins ago, Mark L said:

The handle wasn’t turning backwards was it, when it was slipping? 

No, and when i would turn it back towards me when I wasnt using it, it wouldnt slip. So I would make a cast, reel it in, and do a reverse spin of the reel handle until it stopped (towards me). Its a weird issue and I cant actually tell if something is wrong with it. The lure just slowly drops to the ground with no noise or resistance when its doing the thing im talking about.

Just now, trwhite said:

No, and when i would turn it back towards me when I wasnt using it, it wouldnt slip. So I would make a cast, reel it in, and do a reverse spin of the reel handle until it stopped (towards me). Its a weird issue and I cant actually tell if something is wrong with it. The lure just slowly drops to the ground with no noise or resistance when its doing the thing im talking about.

Only other thing i could possibly even think of is whatever your backing material is that it might be slipping?

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 min ago, Bow3022 said:

Only other thing i could possibly even think of is whatever your backing material is that it might be slipping?

Possible, its only a year old (edit: the line and backing). Ive seen this happen with freshwater reels left out in the rain but wouldnt expect it with a VS.

Edited by trwhite