flysully

Martha's Vineyard Derby

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Surprised, here on the MA forum, no one has posted about the Derby, results, news, etc.

Would probably be appreciated to have daily updated news for all of us checking on the Derby results, news, etc. and those anticipating, possibly, fishing the Derby.

Can't believe no news of this Derby here on the MA forum; however, as we all know, we can go onto their website but, here on the forum , sometimes we can get additional input.

No longer fishing the Derby but always interested in what's going on.

Not a lot of interest will bass being removed again. But I'll tell you, the rather "civilized" hours of dawn to dusk fishing for blues and the tropicals would appeal to me more nowadays than the all nighters chasing bass tides all over the island. Off the beach by 7 PM, back at your lodgings for dinner, a cocktail or two, maybe a fire if you had an outdoor pit or a fireplace, and asleep by 10. Lot to be said for that kind of fishing.

Of course, bluefishing is just a shadow of what it was back then. :( 

I HATE the fcking thing and the herds of ‘derby dicks’ that accompany it.  Competition with strangers ruins fishing for me,  and having to spend a month competing for spots to fish along the Elizabeths drives me nuts. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, numbskull said:

I HATE the fcking thing and the herds of ‘derby dicks’ that accompany it.  Competition with strangers ruins fishing for me,  and having to spend a month competing for spots to fish along the Elizabeths drives me nuts. 

Good.  One less competitor.  

Edited by clambellies

6 hours ago, numbskull said:

So tell me just how you feel ? and is that the same way you feel about the canal ? Them rocks should be red hot by now ? They were moving that way last week 

1 hour ago, stifftip said:

So tell me just how you feel ? and is that the same way you feel about the canal ? Them rocks should be red hot by now ? They were moving that way last week 

Knock it off Dave.  I was mistaken.  Those weren't albies I saw the other day. On second thought, they were huge schools of white perch.

6 hours ago, stifftip said:

Too much moon you sorry basstard.   

And the canal.......give me a break......that's for guys who need diapers.  I'm not there yet, though Alan may be.   

Shouldn't you be off chasing decaying flesh in upstate NY by now?  And I mean fish, not women.  

Two more week the mud sharks skin turns black and the flesh turns mush white the eggs turn to paste then that’s when they are best.  That’s what the Russian guy said.   I’ve been cbass fishing south of nomans lots of room out there 

3 hours ago, numbskull said:

Too much moon you sorry basstard.   

And the canal.......give me a break......that's for guys who need diapers.  I'm not there yet, though Alan may be.   

Shouldn't you be off chasing decaying flesh in upstate NY by now?  And I mean fish, not women.  

Fished the canal-- hard for 3 straight mornings including this AM.  Why would I do this?  Ans:  Because I had to work in Brockton these past 3 days.  Not because of the fishing.  

Included were pre daybreak jigging, and then a post daybreak exercise bike exploration-- admittedly trying to deceitfully find and catch somebody else's fish since I couldn't score my own.  Not one hit in 3 days.  Thank God I do not have to work for the next couple of days.

Alan.   Bad timing  but wrong time of day or rather nights now earlier last week bait p bunkers and mixed bait was there by the billions from east to west and the fish were all over them 20” to 20 lbs  guys the we’re fishing nights did almost nothing with jigs and eels  and buy Wednesday mostly blues and less bait.  Thursday it was over  everyone went south   Nights have not produced.  Btw is this spot burning?

5 hours ago, vineyardblues said:

Hi George 

3C5ECDBD-F7E0-4255-B9DF-7682DEF0BC79.png

Hi Peter

They ought to drop the boat division of the derby and limit it to real fishermen instead.  Of course then only a tenth of the current participants would enter it.
Good luck out there.