theshadow

Tuna stand up rod foregrip turning

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

A friends long fore grip is slipping.Any ideas on getting epoxy underneath without ripping off the guides as a rebuild.Oh! the entire grip is not turning.This one has got me a bit stumped.

Could possibly inject it and be good to go.  Another option is cut it off, split a new foam grip down the middle, glue it on, make sure you glue up the seam and 'clamp' by wrapping masking tape around it, clean up the foam and glue mess on a lathe/wrapper then apply heat shrink grip. 

I had thoughts of heating the grip with a sort of heating pad.Then ,while hot slide a flat piece material[wood,plastic,??] down between the grip and blank and spread 30-45 min epoxy into the gap.It seems quite a bit of the tip end[8-10"] of the grip is the loosest part.Getting the epoxy down is my struggle.Any more thoughts???? It's becoming a challenge to try and figure out the best approach.The grip cutting and shrink idea has some merit.But measuring the inner diameter of the new grip to fit the blank has me thinking.More ideas?????:banghd::howdy::laugh:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Inject with syringe and large gauge needle (19 minimum)

1. Use guide wrap finishing epoxy. like flex coat

2. Warm up both parts of the epoxy in hot water 1st so that the mix is as thin as possible

3. Inject in muitiple spots through the grip as well as under the end of the grip (if you can, depending on wrapping) I find it helpful to align the needle such that the sharpened setion lies parallel to the blank ie stops it digging in

4. Squish and roll the grip at the spot HARD with your hand, to move the epoxy around; it will try to ooze out of the holes the needle made; wear gloves and have acetone on hand to clean your hand(s) and the grips.

I have fixed factory rods like this in the past and it worked

2nd last resort is a length-ways split new section of EVA as Harp mentioned

last resort.... new grip

Edited by ZAFisher

15 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Inject with syringe and large gauge needle (19 minimum)

1. Use guide wrap finishing epoxy. like flex coat

2. Warm up both parts of the epoxy in hot water 1st so that the mix is as thin as possible

3. Inject in muitiple spots through the grip as well as under the end of the grip (if you can, depending on wrapping) I find it helpful to align the needle such that the sharpened setion lies parallel to the blank ie stops it digging in

4. Squish and roll the grip at the spot HARD with your hand, to move the epoxy around; it will try to ooze out of the holes the needle made; wear gloves and have acetone on hand to clean your hand(s) and the grips.

I have fixed factory rods like this in the past and it worked

2nd last resort is a length-ways split new section of EVA as Harp mentioned

last resort.... new grip

Ahhh...........Using slow cure thread finish!!!! I hadn't thought of that.Got plenty of that on hand.Actually replacing a bunch of guides on rods today.Obtaining the needle may be an issue here in the states.But,I do have sources in the medical world.Thanks! all of the above ideas are giving me a better idea of attacking this project.

This why I like this site.Sharing of ideas and input from many sources.We may not agree on different issues but the passion is real and respectful.

4 hours ago, Drew C. said:

I can get you needles but it won’t be for 2 weeks. Let me know if want some. 

The ones you gave me a while ago are ideal. Thanks

3 hours ago, Billy 40 said:

The ones you gave me a while ago are ideal. Thanks

Would you say I'm on the right track?