JPSmith29

Dark Matter Skinner Surf Rod?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Anyone have any experience with this rod or anyone living in Mass or Rhode Island have this rod and be willing to meet up so I could take a look at it? I will be buying a VSX200 at some point before next season and am trying to figure out what rod to match it with. For the way I fish, plugs I use, and locations I fish this seems to be an ideal rod for me at a reasonable price point and based on his last couple videos seems to have more than enough backbone for any striper application since he's caught and landed multiple sharks on it. My only concern is that I would like to handle the rod before spending that kind of money on it. 

I am also open to other rod options and am toying with maybe having a custom one built but not sure if I can really spare that kind of money right now. I fish mainly bucktails from 3/4-2oz, all sizes of SS needles, SS darters, SS bottles, pencils, SP minnows, occasionally gibbs dannys, rarely if ever anything over 3ish ounces. Anything from sand beaches to boulder fields and areas with decent current

Thanks in advance guys. Any and all input is much appreciated

Know nothing about the dark matter rod. I’m sure it’s a fine tool.

At 9’2” and 1-3 oz. I would recommend a VS 150 on 9 footer with a modern layout. There are plenty of options for this.

The VS 200 is a better fit on a 10’ to 10’6” rod.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’m sure it is too I just don’t like the idea of not being able to put my hands on something before buying it

the reason I was gonna put a 200 on one of these is that is what Skinner says he used on it for years and recommends on it. If I don’t get one of these then I’m planning on a 10’ for sure. May do a custom GSB 1201L or 1201M but haven’t decided if I wanna spend that much yet. Really appreciate the input

Edited by JPSmith29

1 hour ago, JPSmith29 said:

I’m sure it is too I just don’t like the idea of not being able to put my hands on something before buying it

the reason I was gonna put a 200 on one of these is that is what Skinner says he used on it for years and recommends on it. If I don’t get one of these then I’m planning on a 10’ for sure. May do a custom GSB 1201L or 1201M but haven’t decided if I wanna spend that much yet. Really appreciate the input

Who cares what skinner uses. Use what works for you 

1 hour ago, JPSmith29 said:

I have tried the dm and actually really liked it. Everything you mentioned throwing it could throw. I had a custom nex1 built and you would be surpRised what a custom could feel like. I honestly did not notice casting difference with a modern layout or old school, not to pat myself on the back but I believe I am a pretty solid caster. In my opinion I would rather buy a rod with some sort of warranty if you are going to go with a factory rod, the Dark Matter isnt cheap. I would maybe try the new seage rod from st.croix. It looks solid and they have a great support team behind them. Or even a factory ODM!

Good Luck!

3 hours ago, LowEnd said:

Know nothing about the dark matter rod. I’m sure it’s a fine tool.

At 9’2” and 1-3 oz. I would recommend a VS 150 on 9 footer with a modern layout. There are plenty of options for this.

The VS 200 is a better fit on a 10’ to 10’6” rod.

I agree with LowEnd on reel size to rod length here. Skinner’s original rod had a cone of flight layout on a cut lami 1201L blank. His new name stamped BM rod is nothing like his old one. I’m partial to lamiglas rods and I would go with a custom 1201L built for you. Just my .02 on the subject. There are plenty of guys on here more knowledgeable on the subject then I. 

29 mins ago, Gfemminella said:

I have tried the dm and actually really liked it. Everything you mentioned throwing it could throw. I had a custom nex1 built and you would be surpRised what a custom could feel like. I honestly did not notice casting difference with a modern layout or old school, not to pat myself on the back but I believe I am a pretty solid caster. In my opinion I would rather buy a rod with some sort of warranty if you are going to go with a factory rod, the Dark Matter isnt cheap. I would maybe try the new seage rod from st.croix. It looks solid and they have a great support team behind them. Or even a factory ODM!

Good Luck!

That’s why I’m thinking about the custom route, just seems so worth it. The price is the thing though, definitely not cheap. I’ll have to checkout the st croix and ODM you mention

13 mins ago, Mark L said:

I agree with LowEnd on reel size to rod length here. Skinner’s original rod had a cone of flight layout on a cut lami 1201L blank. His new name stamped BM rod is nothing like his old one. I’m partial to lamiglas rods and I would go with a custom 1201L built for you. Just my .02 on the subject. There are plenty of guys on here more knowledgeable on the subject then I. 

Really appreciate your .02. Custom 1201L or 1201M was the other route I was thinking. Get exactly what I want and I can get a feel for it before hand just trying to swing that price tag. Any input on the 1201L vs 1201M if I were to go that route?

40 mins ago, JPSmith29 said:

Really appreciate your .02. Custom 1201L or 1201M was the other route I was thinking. Get exactly what I want and I can get a feel for it before hand just trying to swing that price tag. Any input on the 1201L vs 1201M if I were to go that route?

The 1201m is a beefier stiffer rod than the 1201L. I believe you’d be better suited with the L as an “all around rod” for the way you describe you fish. I wouldn’t fish a 3oz jig in current with that rod though. Good luck whatever you choose

Edited by Striperhunter9

19 hours ago, JPSmith29 said:

Anyone have any experience with this rod or anyone living in Mass or Rhode Island have this rod and be willing to meet up so I could take a look at it? I will be buying a VSX200 at some point before next season and am trying to figure out what rod to match it with. For the way I fish, plugs I use, and locations I fish this seems to be an ideal rod for me at a reasonable price point and based on his last couple videos seems to have more than enough backbone for any striper application since he's caught and landed multiple sharks on it. My only concern is that I would like to handle the rod before spending that kind of money on it. 

I am also open to other rod options and am toying with maybe having a custom one built but not sure if I can really spare that kind of money right now. I fish mainly bucktails from 3/4-2oz, all sizes of SS needles, SS darters, SS bottles, pencils, SP minnows, occasionally gibbs dannys, rarely if ever anything over 3ish ounces. Anything from sand beaches to boulder fields and areas with decent current

Thanks in advance guys. Any and all input is much appreciated

I have a vsx150 on a 9' 1-3 and it feels like a perfect match. 

I've never handled a 200 but my first thoughts are it is  better suited for a longer rod.

27 mins ago, Drew C. said:

If skinner says so, it must be the most awesomeness, bestest thing ever.

He’s a fishing god compared to us mere fools. 

Useful info only please

Edited by JPSmith29

Since it's Dark Matter go to J&H or speak to them directly. Really great service. I was in the shop ready to buy a more expensive rod and they totally steered me to the RIGHT rod for my reel and it was cheaper. They didn't try to upsell me, they just asked what I was trying to do and gave me the best option. Even let me put the display reel on the rod at the shop just to confirm how it felt. They were right.  (I see you're out of state. Still worth a call.) 

Edited by ReyAztecaNY

11 mins ago, ReyAztecaNY said:

Since it's Dark Matter go to J&H or speak to them directly. Really great service. I was in the shop ready to buy a more expensive rod and they totally steered me to the RIGHT rod for my reel and it was cheaper. They didn't try to upsell me, they just asked what I was trying to do and gave me the best option. Even let me put the display reel on the rod at the shop just to confirm how it felt. They were right.  (I see you're out of state. Still worth a call.) 

It’s a good point. I was just trying to get some first hand reviews and maybe get the rod in my hands but I may end up giving them a call. Thanks