tcal4404

new yakker

14 posts in this topic

Took the plunge and picked up a 2020 outback. Previously did mostly surf/shore based fishing, excited for the new challenge, lots to learn! I've spent the last two weeks reading old threads and gathering knowledge on safety, techniques, gear, etc. Thanks to everyone who's contributed over the years

Launched in the western sound last weekend for my maiden voyage. Wanted to just get acclimated with the yak but ended up landing a keeper fluke, some porgies, & robins jigging drop offs/reefs. Having a FF is a gamechanger, even if I don't know what the heck I'm looking at half the time lol. Seeing the bottom, depth changes, structure is mega useful. Chomping at the bit to get out again

Over the next couple of weeks looking to try out tube n worm, snagging + livelining bunker (bumped into a few small schools last week), and maybe just maybe landing my first albie (they've been eluding me the last 5yrs). Digging the fact that there's so many options on a yak depending on what one encounters.

Welcome to the fleet! Here's a thread that may help, or just add to your confusion. I'm still not sure what porgies look like on sonar. If you don't have a hi-res map chip like Navionics it might be worth the investment.

47 mins ago, Dieseldog13 said:

Congrats! You are in for a lot of fun adventures.

31 mins ago, gellfex said:

Welcome to the fleet! Here's a thread that may help, or just add to your confusion. I'm still not sure what porgies look like on sonar. If you don't have a hi-res map chip like Navionics it might be worth the investment.

Thanks fellas.

I did stumble into that thread. I'm using a garmin striker 4, I need to spend more time on the water and take pics of what I mark and refer back to that thread. Or catch what I mark....

t, stop right now. You won’t be able to go back from here on. Next you’ll be buying a second yak, more gear, weekends will never be the same again. 

Keep it simple the day you try to find more room for added stuff rethink it quick. We all have gone over board with gear in a kayak to end up using the same two rigs for months. 

Welcome, this is definitely the best time of the year on Long Island sound. The bass and blue bite drops off after several weeks, but the tautog bite starts. In Sept./Oct. you might see whales, dolphins or albies in the western sound.

Biggest item after safety gear is common sense. If you drive there and the water, weather conditions look sketchy just turn around and go home/someplace else more protected. I couldn’t tell you how many times i drove to just go back home after that 2 hours on the road. 

Keep your eyes and ears open. Get used to boat noises, outside the norm noises. Your head needs to swivel and feel those temp differences coming. Your cheek will tell you a weather change is happening, you might feel a cool breeze on a warm day, or wind direction change. These indicators mean something. 

Even if you get caught out in something, get protected fast. Be in make land fall, in the lee of the storm. . Thunder means lightning, get the high points on the kayak down to deck. 

Use a compass and know how to.  Electronics are only good if the battery holds out. Fog will disorient you quick. Whiteout rain will do the same. 

Before will leave the area you just launched from. Stop and turn around, what are the landmarks there. Take that moment to familiarize yourself. Take a picture, memory is short lived in a stress situation. 

Lasty, don’t panic. Keep a clear head. 

Absolutely don’t forget we like pictures of bloody kayaks. 

Don't forget sunscreen!! I burnt the crap out of my legs yesterday... going to have to wear pants and socks when I go out tomorrow 

On 9/24/2021 at 3:25 PM, saltfisherman said:

t, stop right now. You won’t be able to go back from here on. Next you’ll be buying a second yak, more gear, weekends will never be the same again. 

Keep it simple the day you try to find more room for added stuff rethink it quick. We all have gone over board with gear in a kayak to end up using the same two rigs for months. 

I'm afraid that train has already left the station...I have been trying to keep it simple with fishing gear over the last few years, we'll see if I can pull it off on the yak. 

On 9/24/2021 at 4:11 PM, cheech said:

Welcome, this is definitely the best time of the year on Long Island sound. The bass and blue bite drops off after several weeks, but the tautog bite starts. In Sept./Oct. you might see whales, dolphins or albies in the western sound.

Really looking forward to it, especially before it gets too cold and I have to start reading through the drysuit/wetsuit threads...

23 hours ago, saltfisherman said:

Biggest item after safety gear is common sense. If you drive there and the water, weather conditions look sketchy just turn around and go home/someplace else more protected. I couldn’t tell you how many times i drove to just go back home after that 2 hours on the road. 

Keep your eyes and ears open. Get used to boat noises, outside the norm noises. Your head needs to swivel and feel those temp differences coming. Your cheek will tell you a weather change is happening, you might feel a cool breeze on a warm day, or wind direction change. These indicators mean something. 

Even if you get caught out in something, get protected fast. Be in make land fall, in the lee of the storm. . Thunder means lightning, get the high points on the kayak down to deck. 

Use a compass and know how to.  Electronics are only good if the battery holds out. Fog will disorient you quick. Whiteout rain will do the same. 

Before will leave the area you just launched from. Stop and turn around, what are the landmarks there. Take that moment to familiarize yourself. Take a picture, memory is short lived in a stress situation. 

Lasty, don’t panic. Keep a clear head. 

Absolutely don’t forget we like pictures of bloody kayaks. 

Appreciate the safety tips. 

22 hours ago, triumph said:

Don't forget sunscreen!! I burnt the crap out of my legs yesterday... going to have to wear pants and socks when I go out tomorrow 

Haha yes, luckily wore pants & brought sunscreen yesterday. 

18 hours ago, ijuanaspearfish said:

your gonna love that outback, mines a 2019

Have been very impressed by it, counting down the minutes I can launch it again

IMG_6209.jpg

IMG_6208.jpg

On 9/24/2021 at 11:30 AM, tcal4404 said:

Took the plunge and picked up a 2020 outback. Previously did mostly surf/shore based fishing, excited for the new challenge, lots to learn! I've spent the last two weeks reading old threads and gathering knowledge on safety, techniques, gear, etc. Thanks to everyone who's contributed over the years

Launched in the western sound last weekend for my maiden voyage. Wanted to just get acclimated with the yak but ended up landing a keeper fluke, some porgies, & robins jigging drop offs/reefs. Having a FF is a gamechanger, even if I don't know what the heck I'm looking at half the time lol. Seeing the bottom, depth changes, structure is mega useful. Chomping at the bit to get out again

Over the next couple of weeks looking to try out tube n worm, snagging + livelining bunker (bumped into a few small schools last week), and maybe just maybe landing my first albie (they've been eluding me the last 5yrs). Digging the fact that there's so many options on a yak depending on what one encounters.

Congrats! Enjoy! 

2 hours ago, tcal4404 said:

I'm afraid that train has already left the station...I have been trying to keep it simple with fishing gear over the last few years, we'll see if I can pull it off on the yak. 

Really looking forward to it, especially before it gets too cold and I have to start reading through the drysuit/wetsuit threads...

Appreciate the safety tips. 

Haha yes, luckily wore pants & brought sunscreen yesterday. 

Have been very impressed by it, counting down the minutes I can launch it again

IMG_6209.jpg

IMG_6208.jpg

A whole new world opens. 

For myself it made me a better fisherman. You can’t just travel from spot to spot in minutes. You have to think it out. I used to own a boat and drove over those same spots I fished with the kayak. You now spend more time targeting and less time traveling. 

The best is, You don’t follow the reports/fleet you make your own reports. 

4 hours ago, saltfisherman said:

I used to own a boat and drove over those same spots I fished with the kayak

I see boats fly past me to where everyone else is fishing while I'm on a nice bite.