pennfishing82

Saltwater reels

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Socorro got a turd award from Tackle Advisors.  I have a 6000 I got for $70 and I'll say it's the smoothest reel I own.  Not sure how long it will last...

Let me rephrase. He listed the best saltwater reels as follows. Shimano spheros as number 1. Followed by quantum Cabo, daiwa BG, Penn 704, okuma azeros, shimano Socorro, shimano Sedona, and daiwa SS. Which of these would be best for surf fishing in your experience?

6 mins ago, pennfishing82 said:

Let me rephrase. He listed the best saltwater reels as follows. Shimano spheros as number 1. Followed by quantum Cabo, daiwa BG, Penn 704, okuma azeros, shimano Socorro, shimano Sedona, and daiwa SS. Which of these would be best for surf fishing in your experience?

The only one I’ve used on that list is the Daiwa BG. I use it on the jetty fishing bucktails, no complaints. My arm doesn’t feel like it’s gonna fall off cranking heavy jigs in heavy current like it does with a VS. I wouldnt use this reel on a sandy beach though where any sort of splashing or dunking would occur. 

1 min ago, Striperhunter9 said:

The only one I’ve used on that list is the Daiwa BG. I use it on the jetty fishing bucktails, no complaints. My arm doesn’t feel like it’s gonna fall off cranking heavy jigs in heavy current like it does with a VS. I wouldnt use this reel on a sandy beach though where any sort of splashing or dunking would occur. 

I need a reel that's going to get splashed. 

FYI - this dude is wasting your time if you spend it on him. See the “inexpensive reel” thread. Anyone other than the OP can quote this post to correct me if I’m wrong but see below. 

5AE120FA-6719-4C4E-8EA1-D428F3721F3C.jpeg

4654E2E6-F514-40C5-819B-6B63AFD2817B.jpeg

And there was a bunch more obnoxious ish. BTW, I am cool with being authentic - even dickish. Respect!

Just don’t expect your time investment in replying to his posts to be time well spent. 

Besides, there’s a pinned thread which summarizes the basic best value reels, etc. Ridiculous. 

My take away from any reviewer is calibrated to their POV. Tackle advisors, Alan Hawk, random Youtubers, etc. If they are good … they share insights about themselves ( as judges with personal preferences ) as much as their technical insights on engineering & design.

That said, my take away from Hawk’s review(s)…. is that the Daiwa BG series changed the price performance game in saltwater reels, dramatically. I then ran out and bought some BG models after reading his analysis and I think he was quite right.