AmericanStriper

O Shaugnessy hooks for spoons and metals?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I am replacing the treble hooks on some of my spoons and jigs with a single point hook. I am thinking of using O Shaugnessy style hooks since they have an eyelet that appears to be large enough to fit on the split rings. 

Do you think O Shaugnessy style hooks are a sufficient replacement for trebles? Especially when using split rings? Otherwise, what style of hook would you use in this situation?

Posted (edited) · Report post

40 mins ago, AmericanStriper said:

I am replacing the treble hooks on some of my spoons and jigs with a single point hook. I am thinking of using O Shaugnessy style hooks since they have an eyelet that appears to be large enough to fit on the split rings. 

Do you think O Shaugnessy style hooks are a sufficient replacement for trebles? Especially when using split rings? Otherwise, what style of hook would you use in this situation?

Definitely. And you may want to look into the VMC 7265PS hook. Works great on metals. 

Edited by night owl

Great idea and it will make for an easier release of the fish.. I changed most of my lures over to siwash hooks and  cut two of the three hooks off the treble hook..

O'Shaughnessy hooks were the typical hook supplied with many tins and spoons from the factory going back to way before my time. I preferred Siwash as in my opinion they held fish better due to the longer point and deeper bend

On 9/24/2021 at 4:31 AM, sytheteacher said:

Great idea and it will make for an easier release of the fish.. I changed most of my lures over to siwash hooks and  cut two of the three hooks off the treble hook..

When you cut off two hooks from your trebles, which ones of the three do you cut off? Or it doesn't matter, so cut off two random ones?

17 mins ago, AmericanStriper said:

When you cut off two hooks from your trebles, which ones of the three do you cut off? Or it doesn't matter, so cut off two random ones?

Hold the plug nose up letting the rear hook dangle free, one hook will align remove the other two. But I would rather use a short shank oversized eye hook such as the Eagle Claw 254. I believe plugs swim better when the weight of the rear hook is reduced.

On 9/23/2021 at 11:28 PM, night owl said:

Definitely. And you may want to look into the VMC 7265PS hook. Works great on metals. 

I really like these hooks but never tried them on metals—might have to give em a shot. These are the same ones Super Strike is now using for rear hooks.

I like the 9171PS which is actually an open eye Siwash. I like to dress any hooks I’m putting on a metal with bucktail and these have just the right amount of shank to work with. I first noticed these particular hooks on Charlie Graves tins and have been using them on all my Hopkins and Kastmasters since. 

10 hours ago, iwantmypie said:

I really like these hooks but never tried them on metals—might have to give em a shot. These are the same ones Super Strike is now using for rear hooks.

I like the 9171PS which is actually an open eye Siwash. I like to dress any hooks I’m putting on a metal with bucktail and these have just the right amount of shank to work with. I first noticed these particular hooks on Charlie Graves tins and have been using them on all my Hopkins and Kastmasters since. 

I just got a bunch of these with the open eye.  I really like them!   Sticky bastards!  I dropped one on a small diamond jig and it pierced my thigh right up to the barb.  Only a 1/4oz jig too!

And with arthritic hands the open eye is a god send! No idea why I've been fighting split rings and closed eyes

I use a 2 pair of Vise grips to close it. One holds the hook at the bend, gravity holds the lure and the other squishes the eye. 

On 9/23/2021 at 10:48 PM, AmericanStriper said:

I like the siwash style hook better than the long oshaugnessy. For no particular reason, really.