Dirty Walter

Where we at with the Albies!!!!

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

On 9/25/2021 at 3:02 PM, riggler said:

Out of curiosity where abouts were you fishing at Halloween ? 

Outside the harbor of refuge on my kayak.  Bright sunny morning 

On 10/15/2021 at 4:43 AM, Susquehanna said:

One year I had one the best Albie day was close to Thanksgiving, and with great surprise landed a bonito.

This was more than 10 years ago. Pine Island

Back in the year 2000, we were catching December albies in the warm water outflow of a certain eastern CT power plant. I'm not sure if that was an anomaly or what (access was shut down the following year after 9/11)

I was out looking for about a week end of September, first week of October.    Nearly every day by boat.  Got into some along south shore but it was not a good week.    First half of the week they were around and caught 1-3 per day.    No great feeds but had periods where you felt you had decent shots.  Second half of week it was a ghost town.  Pod here or there but that was it.    And almost no striper blitzes.   

On 10/26/2021 at 7:10 AM, albacized said:

Back in the year 2000, we were catching December albies in the warm water outflow of a certain eastern CT power plant. I'm not sure if that was an anomaly or what (access was shut down the following year after 9/11)

I was there to enjoy that too!

Roll cast a fly right up into the "dam" and you were on!

Worst Albie season for me since I started targeting them. I might have a shore trip or two left but I’m not holding my breath. I saw them a couple times by boat but that was it. We got jigs through the brief feeding schools a couple times, but no hook up. Up and down stupid fast. Blind casted for waaay too many hours in the  “recent historically” good spots. No love. They did not show up in vast numbers in the Jamestown-Sakonnet area, and if they did, I wasn’t there, unfortunately.

I GUESS THAT MAKES IT A TRIFECTA, BAD STRIPER ,BLUES AND ALBIES. Can't ask for anything more.  Sad year. Hope it doesn't cross over to  S Florida this winter.  LOL

6 mins ago, John P said:

I GUESS THAT MAKES IT A TRIFECTA, BAD STRIPER ,BLUES AND ALBIES. Can't ask for anything more.  Sad year. Hope it doesn't cross over to  S Florida this winter.  LOL

We only got down a few times this Fall.

Albies shut us out.

One two lb blue, plus a bazillion 8 inch snappas.

Because we lucked into one good striper night in our small sample size, stripers were actually the best bite we had.

Not counting shad. Shad saved us from going home without bending a rod each trip.

To me, the lack of blues was most surprising. We actually did really well on them in the spring. Plus, the ridiculous number of snappers tell me blues were around during breeding season. 

Where did they go?

Skimming through the other regional forums, it doesn't seem they were around much anywhere. At least inshore. 

Were they all out deep?

False albacore

It was a very challenging and difficult 2021 season to say the least.

In one respect, I had to be grateful that they even showed up.

This year had so many tropical storms and wave surges that kept most of the bait anchovies away from the coastal shore line.  

The bait supply was simply not there to attract and hold the fish.

The only plus was a small push at the end of August right before a storm, pushed early up and ahead from the Gulf Stream. 

This gave everyone hope, but it would soon fizzle out, didn't last long.  

Once again major areas that have been good in the past suffered from the lack of hardtail appearances, notably Newport, Watch Hill and Montauk. Best chances this year were off the Narragansett Rocks and the Middle Wall area of the Harbor of Refuge.

Most fish were of good size and would fight really well, trying to return back from the fleeing pods.

We boated only eight all year, two doubles, all the rest singles, obviously.

The lack of appearances was troubling, but I still enjoyed the season and got a lot of satisfaction.

When you're the only boat out there that's catching and it's only one, you must be doing something different than everyone else.

It's tuna fishing and if you've done it long enough there is no guarantees.

The hunt is what it is about. Nothing like being on alert, on watch, eager, ready to fire, just something special from all the rest. 

IMG_2681.JPG

IMG_2672.JPG

IMG_2669.JPG