Dirty Walter

Where we at with the Albies!!!!

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I know a handful showed up in late August which is way earlier than usual. Storms blew them out. Here we are at the point where the big push typically happens. What’s the word? Coming down for a full week to SoCo this sat. Got a few decent reports from people currently down there but wouldn’t mind a few more! Love those stupid footballs! 

I’ve been out almost every day and have not seen any Albies breaking in a few weeks. Either they come back soon or they passed us by this year. I’m sure there are a few around but multiple storms during prime albie season will put a damper on things as we are seeing now.

No one really knows, or has the track record experience to make any kind of valid hardtail predictions for this season.

This has been one heck of a ride, so many different variables than ever before. We have had more wind, ground swells consistently than ever before that have kept us off the water. Albies were around the late part of August.

We feel optimistic that conditions will change. It should be prime time right now. In the past years we have had seasons where they never showed up. We've been spoiled and had great years where we had constant action for five weeks. Last year was a great year for productivity. If you found them, it was golden, a full day of fun. There were lots of albies, some bonito, stripers, bluefish, and shad. You had to find the right place. Lots of traditional locations like Watch Hill, Narragansett, and Newport were for the most part void. Concentrations  staged around the Breachway and the Harbor of Refuge. We had the best fishing situations than the Cape or Montauk.

Hopefully with all these tropical storms coming up the Gulf Stream they will delay the albies migration home. Water temps are still high, bait should return, we all are hoping for a few great days and blitzes ahead. If it happens, it will be quick and not last long. Keeping my fingers crossed on the foot balls. We still have plenty of time for stripers and blues.

Same for me.   Saw a few in late August and that was it.  Though I haven’t been on water much lately.   I’ll be fishing by boat for 10 days starting Thursday morning.   Was afraid with the early albies it was going to be too late in the season but now I’m keeping my fingers crossed.   

I think they’re going to just be scattered this year. Not like in years past with that giant push in the middle of September. The bonito definitely did not show up. Just a few caught from shore this year. No giant initial push… 

My guess is all that bait that showed up after the first push moved east along with the albies. The boat guys are slaying them in south cape. This should be the time they show up in buzzards bay and the canal and nothing!  They have so much bait to eat between the vineyard and Falmouth why go any where else. 

But, all that bait and fish should move southwest again at some point.  I would be interested to hear what others predict in that situation with past experience.  I always believed as long as albies were still being reported in the vineyard then they are still available along SOCO.  I have caught them the the first week of Nov. when the water stayed warm.   

5 mins ago, flyphoto said:

I would be interested to hear what others predict in that situation with past experience.  

My experience suggests when we get this pattern of offshore storms week after week, it sucks for the shore guys.

We planned our annual fall camping trip for next weekend. Already another hurricane is setting up to possibly turn our way. Not what I want to see.

At this point I'm revising my hopes for a push of decent bass that weekend. 

16 hours ago, mikez2 said:

My experience suggests when we get this pattern of offshore storms week after week, it sucks for the shore guys.

We planned our annual fall camping trip for next weekend. Already another hurricane is setting up to possibly turn our way. Not what I want to see.

At this point I'm revising my hopes for a push of decent bass that weekend. 

Welp, it’s September man. These storms have been rolling though this time of year for as long as I can remember. Albies have been pretty slow the past few years. Can’t imagine there is much of a correlation. Time will tail!Can’t imagine there is much of a correlation. Time will tell! 

21 hours ago, flyphoto said:

My guess is all that bait that showed up after the first push moved east along with the albies. The boat guys are slaying them in south cape. This should be the time they show up in buzzards bay and the canal and nothing!  They have so much bait to eat between the vineyard and Falmouth why go any where else. 

But, all that bait and fish should move southwest again at some point.  I would be interested to hear what others predict in that situation with past experience.  I always believed as long as albies were still being reported in the vineyard then they are still available along SOCO.  I have caught them the the first week of Nov. when the water stayed warm.   

Best fishing experience with bonito that I ever had was at Halloween.  

8 hours ago, splions said:

Best fishing experience with bonito that I ever had was at Halloween.  

Out of curiosity where abouts were you fishing at Halloween ? 

On 9/25/2021 at 2:00 AM, Dirty Walter said:

Welp, it’s September man. These storms have been rolling though this time of year for as long as I can remember. Albies have been pretty slow the past few years. Can’t imagine there is much of a correlation. Time will tail!Can’t imagine there is much of a correlation. Time will tell! 

I agree.  Last year, for me, was slow from shore for Albies. This year I haven't even seen a blow up nevermind a fish caught. This year I targeted them @ the end of Aug & the first week of Sep but gave up because the Bass fishing was so good. Last year I ended up seeing more Albies while blackfishing in Oct. 

4 hours ago, chipwood said:

I agree.  Last year, for me, was slow from shore for Albies. This year I haven't even seen a blow up nevermind a fish caught. 

Didn't last year set a record for most tropical storm activity?

Isn't this year on pace to rival it?

There's a correlation. At least for shore guys.

At least for me, with only one day a week to fish (Friday), if the pattern is for big surf and/or dirty water every damn weekend, albie fishing from shore sucks.

The best years, for me anyway, have been the ones with less storms.